Does anyone else feel this way?

Welcome to the free market.

A fine attitude when people go out with all the gear and no idea and ruin the most memorable day in a brides' life. Free market? Keep it!

You don't seem to understand that there are crappy people in all professions. You can't always check their work prior to hiring them either. You can't always garuantee you will get what you expect even when you can check out past work. I have tons of examples. My webdesign guys did some ****ty work for me, but their portfolio looked great. I had windows installed by a company that came highly recomended by three different people. **** work, took them to court and won. Hired roofers that had good reviews. They installed the ice guard wrong, and had to have someone come out and redo it. You wouldn't believe the number of hack jewelers working for reputable companies. If you don't know what quality work in any profession is, you are at a disadvantage.

Free market = Buyer beware.

Not all markets are regulated, and even when they are, licensing is meaningless in the end anyways.

At my age I understand an awful lot more than you think I do. The reality may be difficult to achieve, but that wasn't my point. My point was that it is a tragedy when a newbie buys the kind of equipment that many aspire to and then considers himself/herself to be an expert, when what is required is a lot of learning and experience. Howls of it being a free country and free market may be allowed as such, but that don't make it right. It only serves to antagonise.

Just a thought. If the photographer is up front and honest, shows an accurate portfolio and the client agrees, isn't that really their prerogative?

I'm sure Mcdonalds is a travestry by culinary standards, but it doesn't change the fact that they're one of the most successful chains and millions of people enjoy their food everyday. If people are content paying $1 for a crappy cheesburger rather then spend a large amount on a plate that was prepared by a chef with years of culinary experience, isn't that really their choice?

Not necessarily saying I feel this way, just another thought to throw into the mix.

Just a thought. If the photographer is up front and honest, shows an accurate portfolio and the client agrees, isn't that really their prerogative?

I'm sure Mcdonalds is a travestry by culinary standards, but it doesn't change the fact that they're one of the most successful chains and millions of people enjoy their food everyday. If people are content paying $1 for a crappy cheesburger rather then spend a large amount on a plate that was prepared by a chef with years of culinary experience, isn't that really their choice?

Not necessarily saying I feel this way, just another thought to throw into the mix.

The McD is not a good analogy. My belief is that buying top class kit does not a pro photographer make. Too many $1 burgers just make you grossly fat......and dead

Most reactions

Back