Does anyone have one of the Samsung frame TVs?

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I don’t like the look of a tv hung over the fireplace but I’m close to giving in to that because of space and aesthetics. I like the idea of these TVs that look like art (you can use your own photos or subscribe to art options).

Looking for some feedback if anyone has one. How’s the glare? Is it really obvious that it’s a screen during the day or just at night? How’s the tv for watching tv? Are the smart tv features easy to use? How easy is it to program the “art”?

I don’t like the look of a tv hung over the fireplace but I’m close to giving in to that because of space and aesthetics. I like the idea of these TVs that look like art (you can use your own photos or subscribe to art options).

Looking for some feedback if anyone has one. How’s the glare? Is it really obvious that it’s a screen during the day or just at night? How’s the tv for watching tv? Are the smart tv features easy to use? How easy is it to program the “art”?
Maybe try Off Topic Chat?

No Samsung TV experience but we have their phones and tablets which have always performed well. As to mounting, we've toyed with the idea of mounting over the fireplace. Oldest son just did this in their great room. Even though it's a large area, personally I find it uncomfortable looking up. I would think that in a smaller room it would be even more so. Most guides I've seen recommend the center of the screen be as close as possible to seated eye level.

I have a Samsung TV now and have had LG's in the past. Both are very good TV's with the LG slightly better IMHO for picture quality. My Samsung has developed white spots here and there, not really noticeable when watching TV, but for using it as a display for art, photos, etc. I'd notice. It is several years old though and I'm going to replace it soon anyway, probably with another LG.

As for the built in Smart features, after you get all the username/password stuff loaded it works well. Just be prepared to have to re-enter them every single time the stupid thing updates. And you have to use the remote to enter them, takes for flipping ever! Especially if you have more than one streaming service. But don't skip the updates if you put it on the internet, that's how you get infections/hacked on your local network by not keeping everything updated.

Glare is a problem, windows, lamps, etc. Use a mount that is adjustable, left/right, top/bottom, you will need to tweak it to be able to watch TV.

For programming in the "art" it usually has a place to plug in a USB memory stick and has a built in slide show program in it's Smart Apps. Usually fairly simple to setup. Like the digital picture frames you can get.

As for mounting, distance, angles, etc. I've found these helpful.

From Sony TV web site,

"The recommended height for wall-mounted TV depends on individual preferences and seating arrangements in the viewing area.

In general, the TV should be mounted with the horizontal and vertical center lines at eye-level of the viewers.

In addition, each TV model has a different viewing angle specification, which is the number of degrees you can view the TV screen from off-center, and still see a clear picture.

Refer to the Marketing Specifications for the specific viewing angle of your TV model"

And a good calculator for distance for optimum viewing.

Reactions: pez
I need one to replace my broken one over the fireplace too. Just what I've been thinking about since my wife doesn't want me to mount regular pictures all over the house again.

I have a few Samsungs 2K TV's and they work great except the one over the fireplace ;). I assume the photo/regular TVs you're looking for works well too. I went to Best Buy to see one but they didn't have it set up to see photo mode. I asked them how they expected to sell any if you can't see a demo? But they're morons and have no idea about salesmanship. Have you tried in your area to see one?

No Samsung TV experience but we have their phones and tablets which have always performed well. As to mounting, we've toyed with the idea of mounting over the fireplace. Oldest son just did this in their great room. Even though it's a large area, personally I find it uncomfortable looking up. I would think that in a smaller room it would be even more so. Most guides I've seen recommend the center of the screen be as close as possible to seated eye level.
Well, you're either going to have to look up or buy the fireproof model. ;)

I prefer a lower viewing angle but with the layout of the room it really breaks the flow. I’m planning to buy new furniture for the room and need to make a decision on tv placement so I know what space I have to work with.

Thanks all for your input. Much appreciated!

Well, you're either going to have to look up or buy the fireproof model. ;)
Depending on the fireplace, even mounting it above could subject the TV to significant heat and/soot, neither of which are good for electronics. Son has an 85" mounted above a gas fireplace. Even with the large screen size, I find it uncomfortable viewing after awhile, but they seem to like it. Different tastes.

I have friends with TV's above but their fireplaces are natural gas. There are barriers plates that are also installed above the fire portion that extends out from the wall a few inches, That keeps the rising heat from hitting the TV.

Depending on the fireplace, even mounting it above could subject the TV to significant heat and/soot, neither of which are good for electronics. Son has an 85" mounted above a gas fireplace. Even with the large screen size, I find it uncomfortable viewing after awhile, but they seem to like it. Different tastes.

No worries about the tv being ruined by the fireplace. I bought an electric insert for our wood burning fireplace and Love it! Now I use it every night. The wood-burning one always made me nervous - I never slept well after we had a fire. Plus cleaning up that mess is not fun for anyone. Gas inserts are expensive and I’ve read can be drafty.

The electric insert is not custom but it fits almost perfectly. I just had to use a small piece of wood underneath it that I painted matte black so that it fits snugly on all sides. It throws a decent amount of heat as well, I can turn the gas heat in the house almost all the way down and just heat that one room if that’s where we’re going to be for most of the day or night.

As for the viewing angle, tv over the fireplace would solve this problem 🤣
9FA2A1A8-D393-4F32-878F-B146250B7FB1.jpeg

As for the viewing angle, tv over the fireplace would solve this problem

We have our TVs at eye level when seated, but Phoebe thinks my lap with her head on my shoulder is her seat. 😏

We opted to put our large Samsung on a wall. Too high over the fireplace and there are windows above that with the atrium ceiling. It has preprogrammed art that you can display or add your own. We used that feature the first day :friendly_wink:

We opted to put our large Samsung on a wall. Too high over the fireplace and there are windows above that with the atrium ceiling. It has preprogrammed art that you can display or add your own. We used that feature the first day :friendly_wink:

I don’t have a lot of walls in this room. It’s an open concept living and dining room. Most of the walls in the living room area either have windows or doorways except for the fireplace wall. But the fireplace is centered so if I hang the tv on either side of it I can’t imagine how I would arrange the furniture comfortably and still be able to see it. It’s been the same problem from day one 21 years ago when we moved in. I have tried everything!

Is your Samsung the Frame tv model?

@SquarePeg would a TV lift work? We have one built into the counter of the RV, but they also make some nice stand alone furniture with the lift built in.

Most reactions

Back