Does anyone here use a Nikon D40 for professional use?

Well neither can the D1X but the pros have been doing well in this field for years without CLS ;). There are many workarounds for this.

AJ and Jerry you're arguing apples and oranges here. Indeed the physics of of light will produce two identical images you are 100% right. On the other token it is wrong that when shooting in RAW the only difference between the sensors is noise. Pretty much every aspect of image quality is affected by the sensor too including to a degree the limits of sharpness, noise, colour depth, bit depth, and you will indeed still see a difference. A small one granted, but it is still very significant when the camera is pushed to the limits in terms of post processing and shooting in crap conditions.

I've used my D40x for a few jobs so far: mainly photogrammetry, some portraiture and product photography.

Best,
Helen

Thanks again to everyone for their feedback!

Well, earlier this week I bought a battery charger for the D1X from eBay and I hope it will be delivered by Saturday.

and

Today I got my Christmas bonus and bought an awesome D40 kit with 2 lenses (18-55 and 55-200), a Nikon bag, and 2 Nikon DVDs for $599 from Ritz Camera (in store). I also got filters for each lens and a remote. I've already taken 414 photos with it!!!!!!!!! I love it so far!

What's cool is that this morning I got free tickets to the Houston Texans/Denver Broncos football game so I took my husband and my new D40. I'm loading my photos now, but I think I'm going to be pretty happy with what I got. It's a little weird transitioning from a p&s to a DSLR, but I can already tell it is worth it!

I'll post some of my favorite shots later. I'M SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you weren't trying to be a complete jerk with this post. I'm not going to let the weight of a camera keep me from going into the business, give me a break. :er:

No, JIP's not trying to be a jerk thats just how he is, he is not afraid to sensor his thoughts. I usually like JIP's comments because they are kind of gut reactions, and not to be taken personally, just points thing out honestly. :thumbup:

I take all comments from anyone with a grain of salt.

Even though I thought I was making the right decision to go with the D40 I ended up taking it back last night and getting a Canon Rebel XTi. I'm still not sure if that was even the right choice, but I hope it was. My main reason for doing with Nikon in the first place was because I have my father's D1X and one lens so I wanted to get a camera that could use the same lenses, flashes, etc. BUT, yesterday I found out that the D1X is broken (which was extremely dissapointing). I also bought a used 50mm 1.8 lens and realized what it's like to have to manual focus on the D40. I wasn't pleased with that.

So, after all my defending of the D40 I took it back. We'll see how it goes with the XTi!

Would I be able to do some portrait photography with a D40, or would I have to have a D80 or even D200/300 to get shots that "look professional"? I know that even with the best camera you can buy that some shots won't "look professional" because either the person using the camera doesn't know how to properly use it or they just don't have a "good eye", so let's assume that's not the case.

A Nikon d 40 is just as better than the higher number cameras.

I did a fast look and I am surprised that no one caught it... the Nikon D1x is a cropped sensor camera (1.5).

Another factor that has not come up about using D40 for professional usage is the simple fact that you are going to be up against other professionals. Those professionals will *not* be using D40s, they will be using the D700s, D3s, D3x's and equivalents from the Canon side.

Now, if you think that you can match a professional's results with an inferior camera, that's not saying much about that pro, is it? :)

We always say that a knowledgeable person with a P&S can out-shoot a newbie with pro level equipment, however, in this case, this is not happening... we are a less experienced person with a lower end dSLRs up against people with decades of experiences and tens of thousands of dollars of equipment. The odds don't stack up well in your favor. :(

Most reactions

Back