Does anyone know how to get this effect?

mzeutenh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I absolutely love the wedding photos this photographer turns out, and one thing I love about them is that they all seem to have this sort of hazy, usually warm tone to them! Even the black and whites. I've been doing some experimenting on Photoshop CS5 with my own RAW images, but no matter what I do I just can't seem to effectively capture that tone or whatever it is and I think it really adds a lot of romance to the pictures. I've tried messing with the saturation, the exposure, offset and gamma correction, I've tried adding filters like a warm filter or a sepia filter and nothing seems right, and maybe I'm just not getting the right combination, but could anyone help me understand how they are doing this post processing?? Thanks!!

Example: http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...713390_139049332796386_879021_812889619_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Open Curves, open the RGB drop down menu and use the sliders to tweak R-G-B seperately. Also, you can use Color Balance to tweak highlights,midtones, and shadows seperately. Also, the Saturation adjustment layer in PS can also be used to effect luminosity and tint of colors.

Any number of the zillions of vintage actions on the market.

Yeah probably just a preset. Google "photo curve presets" or "photoshop actions"

I prefer to use curve presets because you can generally adjust things still where as actions will cause a whole series of changes that are not as easily adaptable.

Yikes! Well, to address the now locked forum posts I received, no, this is not spam...I'm not even sure what that means exactly. I'm just asking an honest question I have about how to get this effect on my photos. I posted it in two different forums because I wanted to get as much feedback as I could! Haha, no I am not El Dy Photography, (If I was I don't think I'd need to be posting links to my photos in random photography forums to get business, I only really know these photos from what I've browsed through on their facebook page, but from the looks of it they are doing just fine without "spaming" here?

The reason I posted my question with a link to their site and facebook page was because they seem to use this effect I like on almost all of their photos and I wanted to show multiple examples of it in order to get the best possible answer, and I was also wondering--do you think they actually go through and tweek every picture they process individually or is there some way in like a photoshop CS5 to get this type of effect quicker and with a certain level of consistency with all my photos? Is this what you mean by using a curves preset?

Is it just me or do these pics look like there is a sort of veil covering them? Where does that haziness in the pic come from?

Anyway, thank you for the advice and not just assuming this is spam for whatever reason...I'll try to go into curves and mess with the RGB. sometimes I feel so completely lost when it comes to photoshop!!

Its just that when a first post at a forum has what look like personal websites all over it and the same questions asked in different places without waitng for a reply, it makes people think that the poster is only after a link.
Anyway I am a newbie here myself but I've been active on other boards.
Looks very much to me like Lucis art, but they are good photos to start with.
Lynda.com have some great tutorial videos for photoshop.
Time and practice are the key. I can work with photoshop cs2 ok and know where everything is but getting a look that I like is another matter.
Good luck

Most reactions

New Topics

Back