Does anyone shoot an "origional" senior portrait anymore?

Well, i think another reason why a lot of senior pictures out there have a similar feel because of the conditions schools say they want the picture to look.

I know all the high schools my area all wanted head and shoulder shots, no props, and nothing offensive. Thankfully, not everyone follows the rules and usually some varied types of pictures get in.

But i believe that's a big reason why a lot of senior pictures don't have a nice, personal flare, cause schools demand lack of personality! I know, i grad. in '03

I think that everything has pretty much been done...but that doesn't mean you can't try to do it even better yourself! I have kinda been shying away from shooting senior portraits recently just because its all looking like its moving in a similar direction and I don't want to try to make a 17 year old look like a Maxim model. That, and my wife won't let me :grin:

David,
I think what you are loving about the site you mentioned, is that they are EXPOUNDING on the classic ways of doing it, using green screens, textures, and very savvy photoshop.
The posing, is not too crazy different. It's what they are doing with the photo.
Killer site by the way. I plan on stealing some of the great ideas found there.

I am definitely stealing some of those ideas!

But I guess what I was referring too is a photo "as a whole", which does include posing, lighting, textures, blah, blah, blah. I agree that the poses aren't ground breaking, but there also not "lean on this tree with one hand on your hip and smile" (you know the "standards" that I'm talking about; "Seniors ala Olan Mills or Lifetouch"). What kid does that?

A lot of the kids I know are comfortable when their just hanging around the house, cuddling up on the couch with a throw pillow or getting a milkshake at the local Sonic. That's what I meant.

And by the way. Why don't I see the kids having fun? Class clown fun. Those are hilarious and show the true nature of some kids. Not every senior photo needs to be somber or what I call "boyfriend" worthy (the semi-sexy, blocked hipped, arched back portrait) or the jock holding the football in his lap.

If you want to be in the game then play the game. If folks are calling you to do senior portraits then understand what they want. You can put your own twist on them, but it is the person who signs the check that makes the final decision. If you are unhappy with the work then leave it. Maybe concentrate on something more editorial or commercial based.

Love & Bass

If you want to be in the game then play the game.

(I assume that was directed at me. I don't fault you for the post. Sometimes I know it looks like I am being confrontational but I'm not here. I probably would have written the same reply.)

I do take those "standards" because they do sell... don't get me wrong. But re-reading my original post I looks like it was written more out of frustration than anything. I suppose I was "fishing" for a better senior portrait but in some ways, I am hoping that the industry as a whole will quit settling for "mediocre". We do not settle for "mediocre medical health care" or "mediocre records keeping" from our banks.

I will continue to take these standards but hopefully I will also be able to raise the bar with each session I do. And with each new client I hope to have (because of my increasingly better portfolio), will be less and less apt to accept mediocre work from me. And they shouldn't.

speaking of your portfolio lets see it!!!! i couldn't find any of your work on here.

Most reactions

Back