Does Anyone Use The Nikon Professional Cameras?

Photo7360

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have been looking at the threads here and noticed there aren't any on the Nikon professional cameras.

Those are the only ones I use.

I have a D2h, D3, D3s, D4s and D5. I only use the D2h for teaching.

Does anyone else use any of those cameras?

Got a D3 at the office I could use but I don't bother.

I use a Nikon F5 regularly. Sure it's film but it's a professional camera. A beast of a camera at that.

Hmm, people who shoot for a living use the tool that fits their needs not what the marketing department labels a particular camera as in their ads. Many working pros shoot with D850, D810, D800, D750, D500 etc.

The D5 tier is not what a product photographer would use but rather designed for sports, low light and high capture rates which may not fit the needs of some pros. Horses for courses comes to mind. ;)

The D3 is ok but I don't use it very often. That camera has my macro lens on it. The image quality isn't as good as the D3s and above.

I use a Nikon F5 regularly. Sure it's film but it's a professional camera. A beast of a camera at that.

I wanted to buy that F5. My ex talked me out of it and into buying the D2h. His reason was I already had a bunch of film cameras but no digitals. This was in 2004.

So I bought the D2h and have been digital since.

I bet that F5 is a great camera.

Hmm, people who shoot for a living use the tool that fits their needs not what the marketing department labels a particular camera as in their ads. Many working pros shoot with D850, D810, D800, D750, D500 etc.

The D5 tier is not what a product photographer would use but rather designed for sports, low light and high capture rates which may not fit the needs of some pros. Horses for courses comes to mind. ;)

My specialty is low light with movement. I've done sports too.

So yes, those cameras are perfect for the type of photography I did for over 35 years. I still do that type of photography but am retired now.

I have tried using the D750 and another one. Just couldn't get the hang of them. Nor could the cameras do what I can do with the professional line. I found them frustrating.

I have 2 friends who have a D750. I see them fight with those cameras all the time. They get frustrated because they can't do what I can do with my cameras. From what I've seen and experienced, those cameras aren't good for the type of photography I do.

I wanted to buy that F5. My ex talked me out of it and into buying the D2h. His reason was I already had a bunch of film cameras but no digitals. This was in 2004.

It is. Were I to choose one camera to shoot exclusively that would be the one. Or is it??????????? :indecisiveness:

i-Z7FPN2B-X2.jpg

The D3 is ok but I don't use it very often. That camera has my macro lens on it. The image quality isn't as good as the D3s and above.

I'm happy with the image quality of my APS Fuji cameras.

Sure some use pro end cameras from Nikon, Canon etc... But once you're into camera bodies that cost $5K alone and greater the market for people able to afford and justify such a cost is dramatically smaller. Especially for hobby photographers. Plus many of us, if we had a lump sum like that, would more likely spend it on better lights, lenses, accessories long before updating the camera body.

It's not that the upper end bodies aren't worth their cost, but that there's greater gains in other areas outside of the body. Heck any wildlife photographers would likely have several lenses in that pricebracket and greater that they'd like to own before getting a top end body. Heck I'd rather spend that kind of money on either a really good long lens or on something advanced like a laser trip system and automatic focusing rails etc...

So yep people do use them, but they aren't as widely used as the good quality midrange and upper midrange products which have a much lower price tag.

Sure some use pro end cameras from Nikon, Canon etc... But once you're into camera bodies that cost $5K alone and greater the market for people able to afford and justify such a cost is dramatically smaller.

Yes, you have to know what you're paying for and is it something that you really need. I take photos every week and the camera I use most continues to be my 1" sensor compact Canon G7. Like the D5 it's has a 20 megapixel sensor. Now if I held my finger down on the release it would take photos as fast as it could and while it was getting ready to take the second exposure I imagine a D5 would have already taken 15 exposures. But there's the thing; I've never needed my G7 to take rapid sequence photos. The D5 is weather sealed and my G7 isn't. I actually like to walk on rainy days and often get a little wet -- the G7 fits in my pocket so I've never missed the weather sealing. And so as we go through the list and consider all the awesome features you get for $6000.00 I find I don't really use or need those features. There is one feature my G7 has that the D5 can't even get close to: my G7 fits in my pocket.

So then does the D5 take a better photo under conditions that are not extreme? And thinking again of my G7 which cost me $450.00 does the D5 take a $5500.00 better photo? I don't think so. Now I'm in no way trying to suggest that there aren't people that need something like a D5 or that my little compact is in any way the equal of a D5 but nonetheless I took this photo out walking around the neighborhood.

rose-sharon.jpg

If I had a D5 instead of my G7 I wouldn't have taken it at all because I wouldn't carry that D5 beast around on a walk. If I did have the D5 would it have done a noticeably better job with the IQ? Barely if at all and you'd have to pixel peep to see it.

I do have a FF camera and I do use it (not enough) but the most useful camera I have and the one I use the most is the one that fits in my pocket.

It is. Were I to choose one camera to shoot exclusively that would be the one. Or is it??????????? :indecisiveness:

i-Z7FPN2B-X2.jpg

I have an FM2. I so love that camera. There is a reason why it was called the "work horse" of the Nikon line for so long.

I bought it in 1989. I used it until the end of 1997 when I got an N90s for the holidays.

I still have the camera, I can't sell or give away any of my equipment, it's packed up and in storage.

Sure some use pro end cameras from Nikon, Canon etc... But once you're into camera bodies that cost $5K alone and greater the market for people able to afford and justify such a cost is dramatically smaller. Especially for hobby photographers. Plus many of us, if we had a lump sum like that, would more likely spend it on better lights, lenses, accessories long before updating the camera body.

It's not that the upper end bodies aren't worth their cost, but that there's greater gains in other areas outside of the body. Heck any wildlife photographers would likely have several lenses in that pricebracket and greater that they'd like to own before getting a top end body. Heck I'd rather spend that kind of money on either a really good long lens or on something advanced like a laser trip system and automatic focusing rails etc...

So yep people do use them, but they aren't as widely used as the good quality midrange and upper midrange products which have a much lower price tag.

I'm sure you're correct when it comes to people who are amateurs or very serious amateurs.

That isn't me.

I'm a professional photographer. I specialize in low light with movement. So the Nikon professional line is perfect for what I do. Those who also do what I do also use the professional line of cameras whether it's Nikon or Canon.

The main reason why I put this thread up is to find out if there were people on this board who had experience or was serious about the same type of photography I do and specialized in for over 35 years.

I do have friends who don't use the professional line. I see them struggle with their camera in frustration because their camera won't do what's necessary to get the shot. They see me take seconds to just get the shot and move on.

I believe the important thing is that the camera and equipment work well for the person using it. What one person may use well just might not work at all for someone else.

For what I like to do, the D6 doesn't make a lot of sense. My D850 does more than I will ever need. I do understand needing a D6 for sports photography under stadium lighting. I have a few friends that own them and love them.

In the case of my F5 it's something I always wanted and became affordable. I found one that was essentially unused for a great price and snatched it up. Once I had it I found how good it is the durability is a big bonus. Learning to use it was a challenge and sometimes still is. It's stout durable and gets the shot quickly when needed. I am a motorsports fan so the speed benefits my use. I shoot because I enjoy it not for income for I would have difficulty eating if I tried.

I do want a professional digital but cost is prohibitive for me now. I will eventually have one once I decide which one suits me. I don't really care about the money anymore but that doesn't mean I have it to spare.

And the sound of it when you push the button...........
DSC_1812_220tag5.JPG

Most reactions

Back