What's new

Does Dell make anything worth even considering for a portable workstation?

Stradawhovious

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Nov 8, 2010
Messages
3,241
Reaction score
911
Location
Minneapolis, MN
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a deal with my workplace and Dell computers that I can purchase something (basically at dealer cost) and pay for it over the course of the year, interest free out of my paycheck.

I kind of dig that deal.

My question is this. Since I'm computer illeterate, (specs wise) I was wondering if anyone has seen a unit out there that would be a decent portable workstation made by dell.

The sole purpose of this would be to put photography related software on and manipulate photos. Nothing more.

Any advice would be appreciated.
 
Every dell I've ever owned was pretty worthless. Sorry!
 
Every dell I've ever owned was pretty worthless. Sorry!

You're pretty much an idiot than.

Dell makes some of the best computers out there. I had a $6,000 gaming system from them, the XPS with all the extra's. It was a computer to drool over. I also had the laptop which weighed 11+ lbs (not the greatest for portability (XPS as well).

Don't order a budget Dell, custom order one and you'll be golden. Don't skimp out either. Seriously.

All I have ever owned is top of the line Dell's and now I have a ****ty HP laptop because I got cheap and bought a $1,200 computer. Never again.
 
Every dell I've ever owned was pretty worthless. Sorry!

I disagree... I have supported Dells for several companies... out in the oilfields with big old redneck pumpers that think a laptop is something you use as seat cushion. They held up very well.. with minimal issues.. withstanding rough treatment, heat, and lots of vibration. Desktops in the field offices kept working, even though I would find dead mice in them, cobwebs... and a 1/2" layer of dust and gunk. Dell also has the best support (at least at an Enterprise level) far superior to what I have had to deal with from IBM / Lenovo, HP or any of the others I have worked with. Have worked with Dells for over 12 years.. and that is the experience I have had.

Their business class machines hold up.. don't know about their home stuff.....
 
Last edited:
Every dell I've ever owned was pretty worthless. Sorry!

I disagree... I have supported Dells for several companies... out in the oilfields with big old redneck pumpers that think a laptop is something you use as seat cushion. They help up very well.. with minimal issues.. withstanding rough treatment, heat, and lots of vibration. Desktops in the field offices kept working, even though I would find dead mice in them, cobwebs... and a 1/2" layer of dust and gunk. Dell also has the best support (at least at an Enterprise level) far superior to what I have had to deal with from IBM / Lenovo, HP or any of the others I have worked with. Have worked with Dells for over 12 years.. and that is the experience I have had.

Their business class machines hold up.. don't know about their home stuff.....

Their home stuff is excellent. Dells can be put through hell and back.
 
Every dell I've ever owned was pretty worthless. Sorry!

You're pretty much an idiot than.

Dell makes some of the best computers out there. I had a $6,000 gaming system from them, the XPS with all the extra's. It was a computer to drool over. I also had the laptop which weighed 11+ lbs (not the greatest for portability (XPS as well).

Don't order a budget Dell, custom order one and you'll be golden. Don't skimp out either. Seriously.

All I have ever owned is top of the line Dell's and now I have a ****ty HP laptop because I got cheap and bought a $1,200 computer. Never again.

Wow because I had bad experiences with dell, and you didn't, I'm an idiot? hahaha.. that's classic.
 
Every dell I've ever owned was pretty worthless. Sorry!

I disagree... I have supported Dells for several companies... out in the oilfields with big old redneck pumpers that think a laptop is something you use as seat cushion. They help up very well.. with minimal issues.. withstanding rough treatment, heat, and lots of vibration. Desktops in the field offices kept working, even though I would find dead mice in them, cobwebs... and a 1/2" layer of dust and gunk. Dell also has the best support (at least at an Enterprise level) far superior to what I have had to deal with from IBM / Lenovo, HP or any of the others I have worked with. Have worked with Dells for over 12 years.. and that is the experience I have had.

Their business class machines hold up.. don't know about their home stuff.....

I ordered numerous dell laptops and computers for my business. They all died shortly after, and all had to be reset to factory settings because I used a logitech mouse. Then, the battery on my laptop died TWICE for no reason. THEN all of the computers got the blue screen of death around the same time. These were BUSINESS CUSTOM ORDERED dell computers! I don't just babble off at the mouth, I had bad experiences with dell and I know you didn't call me an idiot but I find it really inappropriate to be referred to in such a way because I don't like dell. Sheesh.
 
I have a deal with my workplace and Dell computers that I can purchase something (basically at dealer cost) and pay for it over the course of the year, interest free out of my paycheck.

I kind of dig that deal.

My question is this. Since I'm computer illeterate, (specs wise) I was wondering if anyone has seen a unit out there that would be a decent portable workstation made by dell.

The sole purpose of this would be to put photography related software on and manipulate photos. Nothing more.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Tell me what you are wanting it to do.. and I will see if I can make a recommendation as far as the hardware goes. How much do you want to spend also?
 
Only pre-built computers (as in, not built by me) I have ever owned for the last 13 years have all been Dells. Not saying it's impossible to get a bad one, but if you're looking for anecdote, then I have 13 years of good experiences. Like someone else said though, dont go cheap. Customize and be willing to spend a little extra. Dell tends to underpower their budget systems.
 
Only pre-built computers (as in, not built by me) I have ever owned for the last 13 years have all been Dells. Not saying it's impossible to get a bad one, but if you're looking for anecdote, then I have 13 years of good experiences. Like someone else said though, dont go cheap. Customize and be willing to spend a little extra. Dell tends to underpower their budget systems.

Exactly! Solution: Don't buy a budget system! :)
 
Every dell I've ever owned was pretty worthless. Sorry!

I disagree... I have supported Dells for several companies... out in the oilfields with big old redneck pumpers that think a laptop is something you use as seat cushion. They help up very well.. with minimal issues.. withstanding rough treatment, heat, and lots of vibration. Desktops in the field offices kept working, even though I would find dead mice in them, cobwebs... and a 1/2" layer of dust and gunk. Dell also has the best support (at least at an Enterprise level) far superior to what I have had to deal with from IBM / Lenovo, HP or any of the others I have worked with. Have worked with Dells for over 12 years.. and that is the experience I have had.

Their business class machines hold up.. don't know about their home stuff.....

I ordered numerous dell laptops and computers for my business. They all died shortly after, and all had to be reset to factory settings because I used a logitech mouse. Then, the battery on my laptop died TWICE for no reason. THEN all of the computers got the blue screen of death around the same time. These were BUSINESS CUSTOM ORDERED dell computers! I don't just babble off at the mouth, I had bad experiences with dell and I know you didn't call me an idiot but I find it really inappropriate to be referred to in such a way because I don't like dell. Sheesh.

Honestly? I doubt it. I use logitech mice, always have. Never had a problem.

Did you try plugging your laptop in? That might have helped.

I doubt all of your computers would have gotten the blue screen of death around the same time, I really do.

But this is the internet.

I've had nothing but good experiences with Dell, as have everyone else in this thread. Except for you. I used Dell exclusively until this year. I regret that decision.

Its all about how you take care of your computer and how you use it. To me, it sounds like you didn't know how to use them properly.

Also, maybe "idiot" was a little harsh. But saying a Dell computer is worthless? Come on.

Lettuce get cereal here.
 
Every dell I've ever owned was pretty worthless. Sorry!

I disagree... I have supported Dells for several companies... out in the oilfields with big old redneck pumpers that think a laptop is something you use as seat cushion. They help up very well.. with minimal issues.. withstanding rough treatment, heat, and lots of vibration. Desktops in the field offices kept working, even though I would find dead mice in them, cobwebs... and a 1/2" layer of dust and gunk. Dell also has the best support (at least at an Enterprise level) far superior to what I have had to deal with from IBM / Lenovo, HP or any of the others I have worked with. Have worked with Dells for over 12 years.. and that is the experience I have had.


Their business class machines hold up.. don't know about their home stuff.....

I ordered numerous dell laptops and computers for my business. They all died shortly after, and all had to be reset to factory settings because I used a logitech mouse. Then, the battery on my laptop died TWICE for no reason. THEN all of the computers got the blue screen of death around the same time. These were BUSINESS CUSTOM ORDERED dell computers! I don't just babble off at the mouth, I had bad experiences with dell and I know you didn't call me an idiot but I find it really inappropriate to be referred to in such a way because I don't like dell. Sheesh.

You are right! I DID not call you an idiot!

So don't get on my case.. I was just stating what 25 years as an IT pro has shown me. Sorry you had a problem.. but the VAST majority of users don't have issues like this. With computers, there is almost always a reason that they stop working, whether it is hardware or software related.... there is almost always a reason. And years of experience have taught me that it is usually user induced.....

The most common reason for Laptops / batteries to die? Heat! Was the laptop in the sun? Someplace where it couldn't get fresh air into it to cool things off? If you set a laptop on soft material.. it blocks the vents on bottom...

The most common reasons for multiple systems to blue screen all at once? Bad patches / updates (very rare), Viruses from surfing the net (most common and most likely). I have had small business owners that tried to save money by not installing antivirus...ouch! That was money in my pocket... :)

There was a problem with some Logitech drivers conflicting with some of the hardware on some systems years ago.. not just dells.. but it was actually because of the mouse drivers, not the systems. Solution.. don't install the drivers.. windows has it own that work pretty well.

Again.. I wasn't bashing you... I was stating my opinion of Dells... period. :)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom