Does the Nikon D3...

dEARlEADER

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
just curious

Does the Nikon D3 allow you to use DX lenses and FX lenses like the D700?

Yes, but... You're only using the center of the frame and getting 5MP worth of photo. You can do it, but personally I think it's kinda silly.

There's loads of discontinued and perfectly good film lenses out there to pickup though.

AF-S 24-85 f/3.5-4.5D
AF-D 28-105 f/3.5-4.5D (w/ 1:2 macro)
AF-D 28-200 f/3.5-5.6G

Tons more you can read all about here: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/nikkor.htm

I just picked up a 28-105 for use on my F100 which is equivalent to the 18-70DX. Fantastic little lens and very sharp, all for a whopping $140 USD. I haven't been able to make a bad photo with it yet, and believe me I've tried. Like shooting at 105mm wide-open at f/4.5 in broad daylight, LOL.

It sure can... matter of fact, rumor has it, that it does everything, even makes coffee for you in the morning... lol.

As far as the DX lens thingie, I think thats a good thing. It lets people wanting to upgrade do so without much buyer's remorse. At least until they can upgrade their lens lineup to match the D3's capabilities. Also, for sports journalists, where maximum pixel count is not always mandatory, being able to use a high quality DX lens gives them the ability to do so without the company (news paper, perhaps?) needing to reinvest in an all new lens lineup at all.

I admire Nikon for this part of their strategy, and expect the other manufacturers who offer crop-specific lenses to offer the same soon. It makes sense.

Most reactions

Back