Does the Nikon SB600 have a photocell?

What body do you have?

From D80 and up, the answer is yes. Just set you on-board flash to commander mode, then either use TTL or Manual settings. Bob's your uncle.

If the on-board is set to Mode (--), it will not contribute to the scene and only act as a pre-flash for the SB-600 to flash. Make sure the channels are the same for flash and menu channel.

Hmm... I have both a 600 and an 800, I always use my 600 on camera (or by wire) and have it set off my 800 when I use both. Never done it the other way... maybe because I decided it was impossible... I don't remember, actually...

Hmm... I have both a 600 and an 800, I always use my 600 on camera (or by wire) and have it set off my 800 when I use both. Never done it the other way... maybe because I decided it was impossible... I don't remember, actually...
Big Wallaby, I have both as well. If I am using both flashes for a scene, it is almost a 99.9% guarantee that neither flash will be on the camera. TTL is okay and will give great results, but I prefer to use the flashes in manual mode. Both are triggered by the on-board flash in (--) Mode.

The whole point of the SB-600 and SB-800 is to be able to use them wireless right out of the box. So when you say (or by wire) I am confused.

THe SB-600 is CLS compatible and requires a compatible commanding speedlight or on-camera flash.

The SB-600 does NOT have an SU-4 mode as far as I am aware, meaning you can not trigger it wirelessly without a CLS capable commander flash. The SB-800 does have this mode and will work wirelessly with every flash even that of my sister's point and shoot.

Most reactions

Back