Does this count as Macro?

Photographiend

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am intrigued to learn there is an actual type of photography that encompass the tight zoom shots I love to play with.

And now that I know what the "macro" setting is for I really want to play around with it.

This was taken on the standard camera setting.

1. The entire cactus is abut 3" in diameter.

$CIMG3613a.JPG

2. Not sure what kind of flower this is but these are tiny little blossoms on one large flower.

$CIMG3123.JPG

So what I want to know before I go nuts taking pictures is, is this considered Macro Photography?

If the image on the film or sensor is as large or larger than life size then it is considered to be true macro. True macro is a 1:1 or larger relationship between the subject and the image on the film or sensor sensor. For example, if you shoot something with a 35mm camera that is 24mm tall and it fills the frame (35mm film dimensions are 24mm x 36mm frame) then is it true macro.

Those aren't true macro, but I feel that anything that gives a glimpse of the small world around us is pretty close.

I don't think the majority would consider these macro...I do not. I do tons of stuff like this....NONE of it is macro.

I do think these can qualify as macro... As does the attached picture... Also check out Mike Moats' work at www.tinylandscapes.com

Attachments

• $image-2766535569.jpg
    $image-2766535569.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 148
Love that Shot! I am married to a rock collector... you just gave me some ideas.

Also, thanks for the link. That guy has talent!

Photographiend said:
Also, thanks for the link. That guy has talent!

He's actually an award winning, book-writing photog, I'm going to do his macro workshop in September :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back