The third of these would definitely be the best if, as has been said, the sand was more like it is in no.2. I've made so many mistakes in Photoshop and I think it's definitely something where you have to learn by trial and error :thumbup: / :thumbdown:.
Probably obvious, but wherever possible make 'local' rather than 'global' changes to an image. In picture no.1, what you wanted for the sky and beach was not the same as you wanted for the huts and trees.
I tend to use the 'polygonal lassoo tool' to highlight an exact area and then feather the edge of the selection before adding a new adjustment layer to that section.
A lot of people, myself included, come almost full circle in realising that less is more and that what's in the camera to begin with counts ( I'd also recommend shooting in RAW).
By the way, for an 'advertising look' I think the first pic almost actually works because the Caribbean is so vibrant and colourful that upping saturation is kind of a natural extension of the place.
I also think you would see a massive improvement in shots like this, where there are dark and light areas that both need exposing correctly, if you learnt to produce multiple exposures in Photoshop - there is a full tutorial on this here:
Digital Photography Tutorial - Creating Multiple Exposures
It's simple when you know how!
