Does this software exist?

groan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
marcphoto.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking for a way to use a laptop or android tablet as an external viewfinder.
I still want to use my wireless remote to take the pictures.

Everything I have tried so far turns the remote screen into a Live View, and that's OK but it switches the Camera over to PC mode and none of the camera functions work, in particular the remote.

Anyone know of such a beast?

I guess the only other option is to set up a monitor with the D90's HDMI out. Anyone try this?
does it essentially give you an external view of your Live View?

Yes, there is an app for android phones and tablets. Here's a link to some discussion on another forum. Seems to have a lot of features.

his is the list of features from the website.[/COLOR]

Features

Main features include:

Liveview
Focus points and area
Zoom area and control
Luminosity and RGB histograms
Grid and aspect ratio overlays
Display filters
Focus
Auto focus
Manual focus
Remote manual focus
3-speed focus adjustments
Capture
Normal capture
Bulb capture (hold as well as timed)
Continuous capture
Video recording
Mirror Lockup support
Image review
CR2 support
Luminosity and RGB histograms
EXIF display
Exposure blinking
Follow shot mode
HDR capture
Manual: Shutter speed based
Av/Tv: Exposure compensation based (range differs per DSLR)

Adjustable settings include:

Shutter speed
Aperture
Exposure compensation
Exposure bracketing
Flash compensation
ISO speed
Auto focus mode
Focus and zoom area
Picture style
Drive mode
White balance
Color temperature
Auto-lighting optimizer
Metering mode

Display filters include:

Exposure
Peaking (four modes)
Contrast (four modes)
Channel mask (four modes)
Grayscale (four modes)

Note that available features and settings depend on the current camera mode (M, Av, Tv, ...) !

[URL]http://dslrcontroller.com/about.php]tethered shooting from a smart phone ! - Open Photography Forums

[/URL]

I guess the only other option is to set up a monitor with the D90's HDMI out. Anyone try this?
does it essentially give you an external view of your Live View?

Yes it gives you an external view of your live view. You can also use go into any of your cameras menus but you cannot control them from your monitor, only the camera.

Thanks Jake, But that's for Canon only.
I have an app on my android that does power the Nikon but all functions are transferred to the tablet. you can not power the camera from the camera and use the tablet or phone as an extra monitor. Even the Nikon software wont do it. it appears that as soon as you plug in the USB it thinks it is to be controlled only via the connected device.

I'm investigating the HDMI option but my netbook doesnt have an HDMI port, just a VGA.
I'll make this work! i hope.

Thanks Jake, But that's for Canon only.
I have an app on my android that does power the Nikon but all functions are transferred to the tablet. you can not power the camera from the camera and use the tablet or phone as an extra monitor. Even the Nikon software wont do it. it appears that as soon as you plug in the USB it thinks it is to be controlled only via the connected device.

I'm investigating the HDMI option but my netbook doesnt have an HDMI port, just a VGA.
I'll make this work! i hope.

Sorry, didn't notice it was canon only. Maybe a tablet with mini hdmi might work. Or possibly setting up a wifi solution.

ya, i'm looking into that. I have a tablet with micro hdmi. my d90 has mini hdmi. I just don't know if the Acer Iconia A500 Tablet can handle HDMI in.

The search continues

ya, i'm looking into that. I have a tablet with micro hdmi. my d90 has mini hdmi. I just don't know if the Acer Iconia A500 Tablet can handle HDMI in.

The search continues

this one doesnt have liveview, which is what I'm looking for. Basically I want an external monitor where I can still use a wireless remote to take the picture. I don't have a wired remote yet but that's coming eventually.

Thanks a lot for the links! I'm also searching and have found the flickr group too. I'm reading. cheers!

The search continues

this one doesnt have liveview, which is what I'm looking for. Basically I want an external monitor where I can still use a wireless remote to take the picture. I don't have a wired remote yet but that's coming eventually.

Yeah me too. I want one with all the features of the first link I posted as you can set up bracketed shots for HDR up to 45 exposures.

Helicon does a ton of stuff.
Look at thsi screen...for stacking macro shots. Must try this. I didnt even see it before
unnamed-151.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back