Does this sound like a good beginner wish list.

p2porkchop

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm new to photography, but I've always been interested with it and now I have the funds available to finally go out and buy some equipment. I feel like I have a good understanding of mostly everything.. but I've never shot either.. sooo Heres what I have so far.

Nikon D5000 12.3-MP DX-Format Digital SLR Camera w/ 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR AF-S DX NIKKOR Lens - 25454 - WolfCamera.com

Nikon 50 mm f/1.8D Nikkor AF Lens - 2137 - WolfCamera.com

Is the body too much for a beginner? Anybody have pros / cons with the body? Or what lense(s) would you reccommend? Any other accesories to go with it (other than the neccesities)?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.

i dont have it, but i dont think i would get a D5000 based on some of the comments here. do a search for D5000 and you'll find some good discussions.
if you can stretch your budget, think about a D90...those that have them love them.
again...i dont have it, but it gets lots of good reviews.

someone will chime in soon with some real solid advice.

get on that search though...you'll def find some info that way.

welcome to TDF by the way :D

*edit*
also check adorama...their prices are great.

I would avoid the D5000 for now. It's brand new and has been hit with two recalls already. If you do go with a D5000, be sure to get one made sometime after July of this year to avoid having to send it in for service.

also, the 50mm f1.8 won't autofocus on the d5000

Aside from the D90/D5000 thing (and yes, get the D90...), it's a pretty standard kit you have there, which is fine. It will give you a reasonable range to work with. Personally for a starter, I like the 18-135 better, but 18-55 will be fine.

I'd spend the extra $150 and get the D90 instead. It's less limiting than the D5000. Plus, like mentioned, the D5000 has been through some recalls.

The 50mm f/1.8 is a good choice for a first lens, and it's sharp and inexpensive. However, it won't autofocus on the D5000. Nor will any lens that isn't AF-S. You'll need at least the D90 for those.

50mm is a little tight on a crop body (especially indoors), so also consider the new AF-S 35mm f/1.8, although it's out of stock quite a lot.

I'd avoid kit lenses.

Also, shop around. Prices are a little bit lower on other websites, like B&H.

Good websites for photo gear:

B&H Photo Video | Digital Cameras, Camcorders
Digital cameras, all other cameras and everything photographic from Adorama Camera
Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
sounds good to me. I have owned both of those lenses and they have been fantastic.

Welcome to the forum. I have the D5000 and really like the camera. It is my first DSLR. I have sent it back for the first recall, but have yet to send it in for the second recall. I haven't experienced any problems with the camera yet at all. As soon as I get a break in my schedule, I will send it back to have the second recall taken care of.

As far as the lenses go, the 50MM that you mentioned will not autofocus on the D5000. You will need to get the much more expensive AF-S version. If you are looking for a fast prime, I would look at the new 35MM AF-S. Remember that this is a "crop sensor" camera so a 35 MM lense will have a film equivelent of 52.5 MM.

If I had to due it all over again, I would spend a little more and buy the D90. It has the capability of using non AF-S lenses, (which will save you in the long run). It also has a commander mode for off camera flash (something I am interested in using, although haven't got into that yet). I thought I would like the swiveling LCD thing, but I have only swiveled it a few times when shooting really low or high. Most of the time I look through the viewfinder.

Overall, I would recommend it with hesitations. But if you have the money, I would upgrade to the D90.

Good luck, and whatever you get, start taking pictures and post them here.

-Andy

I was going to buy the D5000 as well, but the recent recalls and people raving about the D90 sealed the deal for me, and I just ordered one of those. I don't think I will be disappointed based on peoples comments.

50mm is a little tight on a crop body (especially indoors), so also consider the new AF-S 35mm f/1.8, although it's out of stock quite a lot.

LOL I put it in my wishlist on B&H while at work (instock), and just now ( a few hours later ) when I logged on at home, it was out of stock:lmao:

Thanks for all the input so far. I believe I am gonna splurge on the d90. I was originally looking at it, then I saw the D5000. Tomorrow I'll probably head down To Wolf Camera (closest camera store to me that I know of), and take a closer look at it, hold it and see it first person, and if everything goes good, I should be ordering it with a few lenses and other accessories within the next few weeks. Agian.. Thanks

The D90 is the way to go. You wont need to upgrade your camera for any significant reason (aside from some more professional features). Plus, you can use every Nikkor lens since 1986 with the D90. Wish I had bought the D90 before buying the 50mm f/1.4 AF-S G.

Here's some info you may find helpful, this is where I go before making a purchase.

Kenrockwell.com

D5000 info: www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d5000.htm

D90 info: www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d90.htm

Last edited:
As I understand it, the D5000 is the upgrade from the D40/x and the D3000 is the upgrade from the D60. Speaking as the owner of a D60, I wish I'd saved up the extra and gotten a D90.

EDIT: After making that statement, just for poops and giggles, I checked flickr for some ISO 3200 samples. My biggest gripe about the D60 is the terrible handling of anything over ISO 400. It seems as though the D5000 has improved significantly over the D60.

My next two gripes are only solved with the step up to the D90 (in order of importance to me): Ability to use AF lenses and not just AF-S lenses and wireless iTTL. Bracketing would be nice too. And a second control wheel. Now I'm reaching.

Last edited:
Benlonghair- I believe the D5000 is an upgrade from the D60. It has the same image sensor as the D90, (and the D300 for that matter), but in a smaller (D60) body. It offers many additional features the D60 doesn't have. The D3000 is more of an upgrade from the D40. The D3000 has been designed to be an easier transition for a beginner going from a point and shoot to a DSLR.

Oh, ok, I had it backward. The fact remains that the D90 has some features you can't get until you step up to the next line.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back