Does this work? Beach washup C*C

SnappingShark

Always learning.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Not sure it does - wish the sky had been more dramatic too.

$11652344496_757ff069e5_b.jpg

No, I dont think it really works either I'm afraid, It is an almost though and looks like a great location to explore. I think the exposure is off in the foreground and it lacks a bit of contrast too. Compostitonally wise I can see why you took this shot and all the elements are there I just think not quite in the right proportions

I think maybe if I had took the shot from a higher angle, losing most of the sky. It might have been better.

Oh well. Try and try again :)

Great location, but wrong time for color.

Try making it b&W and lighting the foreground.

Great location, but wrong time for color.

Try making it b&W and lighting the foreground.

I think LG may be on to something here. I was feeling that the logs were too dark and that the sky pulled my attention. Maybe if you dodged the logs and did the b&w conversion it would be much better.

I think the foregorund is way to busy and dull. Hit it with some contrast and it might bring it to life a bit.

The newest version with your comments taken aboard.

I couldn't dodge too much more ... but I think this is as good as post edit will get me.

I've been to that exact beach before a number of times! Here's what I think is going on with the black and white version of the shot: the logs are big, and jumbled, but the foreground is not shown quite big enough...the eye moves through the jumble of washed up logs, and the line of the creek takes the eye with its bright tone, "outward", and to the little light spot where the creek enters the ocean, to the small seastack near the center of the image.

Light-against-dark junctions are VERY,very strong in B&W photography, and the dark headland, the bright creek mouth, and the seastack junction is VERY powerful in the B&W shot, and that keeps the eye from looking at the logs.

I can "see" this as a shot taken from up high, like from a crane bucket, as a tall image...buuuut, that'd be impossible. You COULD though, shoot this from up on the highway, with a telephoto lens, and get the kind of image you're looking for I think. But the cars heading south on 101 are gonna be like 4 feet from your butt as you shoot from that spot--I mean shoot from RIGHT BY the highway. The advantage of that would be that you could use a telephoto lens, and literally MAGNIFY the physical on-sensor size of the seastack, and sort of "pull it closer" to the logs, with about a 135mm length I'd guess. Shot wide-angle, from that camera position, with that short of a focal length lens, the logs just are not that "interesting" to me. I think that beach is, itself, a very TOUGH one to make good pictures at.

The last time I was there was early this June, Majeed and I hit the spot on a really big incoming tide.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back