Does your family support this??

Ian63

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
westynimages.zenfolio.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just a thought. Anything I produce or create as it relates to my photographic skills, is met with open and unrestrained hostility from my wife. I don't even show her my work anymore. In fact I have even restricted her on my facebook page because of her demoralizing comments.
I have learned over the years that ANYTHING I buy for my obsession, HAS to come from money I have generated from sales. I would NEVER ask her to buy me anything photography related for birthday or Christmas. And yet the woman is an artist and musician herself. Oils... acrylic.. water color...and plays the piano. Go figure!

Do your significant others support your profession, obsession, hobby... oram I just an oddball??

Ian

My wife doesn't necessarily like the hobby itself, but loves that I have a hobby of which I am enthusiastic and passionate about.
She will occasionally look at some shots I've taken, and will even help me with finding a nice place to shoot pictures.

So yeah, she's totally understanding - and about the money aspect - so long as I stick to the budget, I'm all good :)

edited to add: She's currently in overseas, and may even bring me back a nice camera strap that I've asked for.

I'm single. So I don't have that problem.

My guess is the OP will be single before too long as well...

Wow..."open and unrestrained hostility", eh? Sounds quite serious to me.

This was mentioned on another forum. Someone said after he got married, he sold his camera gear, motorcycle, jet-ski, quad, audio equipment, ham radio, guns and fishing boat.

Now that he's single again, he's going back and acquiring all his old 'fun' stuff.

Do your significant others support your profession, obsession, hobby...
No. And each became ex-significant others.

They each knew before we got married that I spent a lot of money on my hobby, and that as time went on I would probably be spending even more money on my hobby as I moved up in the race car classes.
After all they both met me at the race track, and wanted to sit in my race car.

Do your significant others support your profession, obsession, hobby...
No. And each (there were 2) became ex-significant others.

They each knew before we got married that I spent a lot of money on my hobby, and that as time went on I would probably be spending even more money on my hobby as I moved up in the race car classes.
After all they both met me at the race track, and wanted to sit in my race car.

I'm retired and working on a voluntary basis (aka an "intern"). My lovely wife gives me a little money, every so often, so I can pursue my artistic hobbies.

My wife supports me 100% as long as I am reasonable about my budget and needs. She should support your love for something, even if she does't share the same.

How the spouses address each other's hobbies and pastimes correlates strongly, I think, with the respect they feel towards each other. What is underlying this hostility that your spouse feels, and why is she putting down your creative work? There's more to the story than you have told us.

My wife is the CFO in my business. She sees all the money (expenses and revenue). Yes she supports it! :D

How the spouses address each other's hobbies and pastimes correlates strongly, I think, with the respect they feel towards each other. What is underlying this hostility that your spouse feels, and why is she putting down your creative work? There's more to the story than you have told us.

I've got to agree here. Is there some sort of professional jealousy here or something going on? Does she want to be the only creative one in the relationship? I can understand some arguments over unreasonable sums of money or a general lip-pursing, but the outright hostility? What's up with that?

My boyfriend and I share photography as a hobby and we support each other in our pursuits, gear acquisitions, projects, etc. Even if the hobbies differ (and we do have interests other than photography that do not intersect), I couldn't see either one of us putting demands on the way the other spends his/her money. If we had a joint account and he emptied it, I'd have something to say regardless of what he spent it on, but he's free to spend his own money the way he sees fit, just as I have control over my own money. It helps that we are both responsible with our money, though honestly, if he were a total flake about money, I doubt we'd have made it to nearly 10 years together.

Most reactions

Back