What's new

Dog Day Afternoon

BananaRepublic

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Jul 10, 2014
Messages
1,319
Reaction score
161
Location
Eire
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I previously posted a thread to nature& wildlife called Urban Feathers. I'm new here but I am in a camera club. As regards photography I might describe myself as novice to DSLR photography anyway, I know allot but I know nothing at the same time. The last picture I posted was "bashed for being over-processed and I agreed. So this time I have posted a picture as was taken, the original is a RAW file. What I want to know is what I should do to improve this photo in terms of photo shop etc and also I'd like to know what things should I have considered before I took the photo.
 
I like it. Wondering if you should of had a smaller aperture to get a little more in focus. Although I also am still a newbie :)
 
I like it. I would darken and/or desaturate the back ground.
 
Thanks Mike, I was thinking that I should perhaps boost the colour of the barley a bit to make it more golden Yes/No ?.
 
it's not a bad shot, well exposed, but I do see a few things right off the bat.

1. the horizon is tilted. I realize the dog's face is leveled, but it doesn't look natural and gives a feeling that you're leaning in the frame.

2. the DOF is too shallow -- Only because the dog's nose is perfectly in focus.

2a. The focus wasn't nailed -- it appears the focus was achieved on the wheat in FRONT of the dog. you need to try to focus on the subject's eyes; that's really what's important. I'd like to see the dog in perfect focus from the tip of the nose all the way to the tips of the ears.

It looks like you used f/14 on this shot and used a 55mm lens in manual mode. That wasn't a bad choice considering that at around 5' to the subject you should have a DOF window of only about a foot and a half. So you need to be VERY careful where you focus, even with a smaller aperture.

3. dont you dare add saturation. the colors look natural, don't ruin the picture in this manner.
 
Thanks Braineack,

In truth I was disappointed with the hedge-line at the rear and but I think you called it right "leaning" I wasn't stable on the ground. I did think it was a fraction over exposed I thought this could be seen in the colour of the wheat.

I was using a 55-200mm trying for shots of some hawks, birds, nearby. I was standing in the middle of the field so I was surrounded by wheat the same as the dog and it was about 2" away from me so my lens choice was wrong . I found it hard to compose, get to dogs level etc without it launching at me. It was an off the cuff shot really.

If I was to retake with 18-55 would I get a far better photo? what aperture should I begin with
 
I'd like to see the same shot at 200mm...
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom