Doing a craft show, any suggestions?

GerryDavid

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well after years of saying "I plan to do the craft show this year", I have finally applied for it.

I plan to sell 6 different photographic 8X10 prints, probably 3 different catagories. Money is a big issue right now, so im limiting myself to 3 of each, so 18 prints in total, 6 for display, 12 to sell, then if 2 in one catagory sells, Ill go print some more. The first day I plan to spend 50% of the money I make back into more prints. Im not sure on the 2nd day yet. I dont want to have a large enventory after its done. Some could be used for Christmas presents, one of each for a portfolio, etc.

I was just wondering if anyone has any tips to increase sales or to get more sales.

For prices, I was thinking of charging $26.09 cdn plus tax, which ends up at $30.00 cdn even, this way I wont have to deal with change. To make a bit extra money, I was thinking of buying a few nice frames that I can get for around $5cdn and sell them for $8.70 each, $10 after tax. But im not sure on that one.

I plan to put labels on the back of each print *not on the print itself* with my name, and website and info like that. Maybe a business card instead of a lable, this way it can be stored and shared easier, hopefully. :0)

I wonder if I should offer a deal, something like buy 2, get one free.

And just typing this, I thought of perhaps getting a mailing list or something from everyone that does buy something and mail them something before Christmas, perhaps with a coupon in it.

Any suggestions? :0)

In all honesty... I would charge more. $30 for art is cheap. especially when you consider that thats about how much sooters or other portrait photographers charge for an 8x10. (plus the sitting fee... and really, for the amount of work, it might as well be a mugshot) i would buy the $5 frames and put them in right away and sell the whole thing for $65... MINIMUM. especially if you're paying for the space. (and remember, theres 2 days of your time in there too... you have to make it worthwhile) I guess, however, you need to know your market... and your own skill. I had and have a lot of trouble with that... to me, photography is such second nature that it feels like everyone can do it, so i don't feel like i should charge more. but the reality is that most people can't take a picture of grandma without cutting off part of her head... and they will be impressed. If you believe thats what your art is worth, thats what its worth... i've seen unframed, unmatted 8x10s go for $300CAD... just a thought. good luck!

Charging more at a craft show is not necessarily a good idea. I've been in several art festivals for the last five years and granted I do sell expensive works but most folks are there to spend fifty of less. I started with that aim in mind- to sell works of art at gallery prices but found quickly that making items that cost less sell about ten times more. I don't think the $30 is a bad idea for a print/ $50 framed , and sell 2 for $50/ 80 framed.

Also advertise as much as possible, buisness cards are a MUST!! Adhesive labels and buisness card are ready for your cpu printer and make things look very professional. Plastic baggies are a good idea for bad weather. Don't stay up all night before the event and be too tired to sell art the next day- it's not professional. If yer doing it solo ask a friend to stop by midday to releave you for some lunch and a bathroom break. OH and make sure you have enough change to start things off. GOOD LUCK and wear a hat to keep the sun out of yer eyes!!

The prints will be of im thinking scenery, black and white, wildlife, ive got some artistic stuff but im not sure if Ill put that in, im limited to 6 right now.

Since its scenery and stuff, its not really comparable to portrait fee's. Also this town is pretty cheap. A good % of it is wellfare.

I dont want to price to high and have no one buy it, but then again I dont want to charge not enough. At the $26.09 mark, its costing me about $3.45 for the print, and $1.15 for the frame I plan to put it in.

I was thinking of using corregated plastic backing *like carboard but plastic* but its not cheap, and I have to get it in the city, so if I sell well, Ill run out, if I dont sell well, Ill have wasted $30 on inventory. And that art supply store doesnt have acid free bags, so the alternative would be ziplock bags or syran wrap, neiither would look professional. Which reminds me, I forgot to go into staples yesterday to price and check out thier bags, thier not acid free but they could look good.

So instead of the acid free backing and bag, Im considering using a simple frame, glass front, carboard back, and a couple steel hooks that goes on all 4 sides to keep the glass on. This way they are ready to display I presume. But im not 100% sure on this one.

I like the idea of $30 unframed, $50 framed, but the $20 jump for a $5 frame might be to much, hmm, but Ill give it thought.

The first day its 9:30 till 4, 6 till 9, I have class that night so my father will be taking over for me for the 2nd half, and Ill have him come in before hand if I need to go print some more items. Ill probably be stuck in the 2nd, more smaller room since its my first year, so its less crowded and I can snack while I wait for people to come in the room. I think this will be biggest drawback, being in the smaller room. The big room is jam packed with people and stuff and the smaller room has alot more free space and much less people.

Hopefully Ill be the only photographer there. Its mostly canned goods, baked goods, and craft stuff like carpentry, knitted stuff, etc.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Oh ya, I was thinking of having the $26.09 Canadian a sale price as well, so they will think they are getting a good deal. I think right now I have it on my website as $30 american each.

I was just thinking and I was wondering what everyone thought of this deal?

Buy 2, get 1 50% off.
Buy 3, get one free.
Buy 4, get 2 free *they end up with all 6*

This deal would be specific to frame type. If they get a basic frame, then the deal goes for a basic frame, if they buy the better frames, the deal goes for the better frame.

Then instead of a business card, I was thinking of including two 4X6's with each order, and have 4 pictures on each 4X6, and each corner numbered, 1-8, and include another sheet with information of all 8, including picture ID and contact info. This way one spouce or family member buys one print, then takes it home, the rest there can see what I have and maybe they will be interested in another one?

I have done many a craft show, and, although never sold photos, I agree that in the craft show atmosphere, if you are over by $1 what your townspeople would consider their max amount for a craft show purchase, the buying wall goes up and youre done. Keep it moderately priced. Then, the people that cant quite afford it normally, will feel like they are getting some beautiful pics for a reasonable price.

I like your idea about giving them something with the other prints on them, to take home to contemplate another pic...I always go home w/things like that thinking...'I should get the other one too' ;) Very good marketing idea. So they can show friends/family or if they dont have the money there at the show, they can take one of your flyers home and order later.
...But I wouldnt go too big on the examples, just a teaser, or maybe put a slight watermark of your logo or name across them.

Another option on bags in case it rains, when my hubby used to collect comics, they would come in an acid free sleeve w/cardboard in it to keep it from bending. That would keep it safe from the elements and they'd be able to flip through them to look and you wouldnt have to worry about fingerprints. Do you have any comic book stores near you? Scrap -booking stores also have sleeves too.

I'm done rambling now.... :oops: let us know how it goes!

Hmm, yup, do have comic book stores, but Id hate to think of the rpices of those, but thats a good idea, those bags should be acid free.

Its an indoor craft show though, so im not worried about the elements.

And when I give them two 4X6's with 4 pics on each, each picture will be 2X3 inches, so im not worryed about putting water mark or something on that, they woudlnt be able to enlarge it that good and have it look that nice. Plus there would be a number in the corner so they can refer to it on the data sheet.

And just thinking as im typing, I could do a gift certificate thing as well, like a Christmas card with a picture on it, and inside a coupon to pick up a free print, hmmm.

the problem with not charging what something is worth at a craft show is that you may get stuck selling them like that forever. undercharging is just as bad as overcharging... people think that thats what your art is worth, and if they ever choose to buy anything from you again at an art fair or something, they'll be expecting to pay $30.

obviously its different in every place... i too understand the "welfare market" but is that your target? If your motive is to get as many of your pictures out as possible, then yes... charge low to move product, but to sell "art" that realizes your skill and reimburses you adequately for the time it has take you to learn and perfect that skill... i would charge more.

I wont be living in this area next year, so im not to concerned with getting stuck with the $30 label in this area. I may come and do the craft show next year if it pays well.

I was thinking of having a sale as well, so the $30 would be the sale price so people would expect to pay more next time, or at least thats the idea.

This year I think I would reather sell 20 prints at $30 than one for $50. :0)

Thanks for the input, but at least on the price area, I think Ill stick with the $30. Im more interested in the making money right now than extablishing a fixed price in an area that I may not sell in again.

I havent picked the 6 pictures yet. Im thinking of using that b&w one from the park that youve seen *a few dozen times in different variations*, for one. Its not for another few weeks so I dont want to choose just yet incase I get more that I like closer to the time. I want a couple Christmassy ones but I dont really have any pics like that, and I prob wont be able to do them till after the craft show since its in November.

Kara, ps, just 1594, I mean 1593 more to go to catch up with you *smirks*. hehe, jk.

Yup. :0) And Ill let yall know how it turns out. Hopefully Ill have sold at least one print. :0)

I think Ill offer the prints framed and unframed, someone suggested going to a comic book store and pick up the acid free bags/carboard backing's to put the prints in, so im going to find out how much they are in town and if they are acid free or not.

One thing I was thinking of is should I limit the customer on what they can pay with? I see stores around town that have signs saying they wont take $50 bills or maybe the largest they will accept is a $50. Should I limit customers to using nothing larger than a $20 bill? I dont want to loose a sale if a customer only has a $50 bill or something. But I dont want to get a counterfeit $100 bill and be out the money. But with Canadian currency, there are holograms and stuff on it, and the new bills have alot more protection built into it. But the holograms that are on the older $20 and higher bills must not be fool proof since grocery stores and other places have a counterfeit detector that scans the money.

Just rambling. Those of you that have done this sort of thing before, what did/didnt you accept? I dont think Ill take personal checks since theres a chance itll bounce. I dont think there is an atm at the place the craft show is held.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back