DOJ Building For JonMikal

Nice conversion, Jocose. :thumbup:

The pavement on the bottom left corner is distracting. I'd have walked up a bit or zoomed in, to avoid that.
The building is too centered (horizontal).

The 'Rule of thirds' can be used as a general guideline while composing an image.
Link 1
Link 2

danalec99 said:
Nice conversion, Jocose. :thumbup:

The pavement on the bottom left corner is distracting. I'd have walked up a bit or zoomed in, to avoid that.
The building is too centered (horizontal).

The 'Rule of thirds' can be used as a general guideline while composing an image.
Link 1
Link 2

Dan, actually, I just wanted to get it up and posted, so I was kind of rushing it. Once I posted it, I was looking at it and thought, huh, I really should have gotten rid of the pavement :)

As far as the the building being centered...that was actually what I was going for. I was standing at the crosswalk, and I noticed how the building seemed radiate out from the main down down both sides of the block. Thanks for the links though, they are very helpful.

I'm not quite sure how you could have used the rule of 3rds on this shot...any suggestions? Maybe a different angle so you still get the spread, but off center?

jocose said:
As far as the the building being centered...that was actually what I was going for. I was standing at the crosswalk, and I noticed how the building seemed radiate out from the main down down both sides of the block. Thanks for the links though, they are very helpful.

I'm not quite sure how you could have used the rule of 3rds on this shot...any suggestions? Maybe a different angle so you still get the spread, but off center?
I'd compose this shot with less foreground (the street) and include more sky, so that the sky takes up the first third portion of the frame.

danalec99 said:
I'd compose this shot with less foreground (the street) and include more sky, so that the sky takes up the first third portion of the frame.

Ahhh...so 1/3s going up and down...I know it works both ways, but I always think of 1/3 from right to left or left to right....I get it now: Sky 1/3, building 1/3, and ground 1/3...instead of too much ground or too much sky...makes more sense now :mrgreen:

Thanks.

jocose said:
Ahhh...so 1/3s going up and down...I know it works both ways, but I always think of 1/3 from right to left or left to right....I get it now: Sky 1/3, building 1/3, and ground 1/3...instead of too much ground or too much sky...makes more sense now :mrgreen:

Thanks.
That equation would still make the building split the frame (centered). The said rule is merely a guideline to create a well balanced image. You don't have to literally follow the figures :).

Since there isn't much activity going on in the street, I'd give prominence to the building and the sky. Like I said before, lesser foreground (street), and more sky.

Jo,

As far as the 1/3 rule, as one person said you this thread, it's just a basic guide line. I did a test once a while back in another forum. I posted a shot using the rule of 3rd's. one a fellow poster said he would have composed it the exact opposite way. A month later I shot the same shot and posted it again and the SAME fellow poster along with a few others said they would have composed it the exact opposite way again so there you have it. it boils down to preference and capturing the moment.

Scott

Most reactions

New Topics

Back