Domain names and business

Ryan L

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, so I bought a Zenfolio account and now I am trying to figure out what domain name to use. I own 3 of them since I couldn't decide. They all have significance to one degree or another, but would like your opinions.

RyanLindseyPhotography.com - This is obviously my name and from what I have read, name recognition seems to be a key. But A lot of people spell Lindsey with an A(Lindsay) and dont want to confuse people. Also it's not a simple JohnDoe name and seems forever long.

GunLakePhotography.com - There are no photographers right around here, and the community is a pretty nice area. A lot of seasonals in the summer which might actually be a positive. There are many rental homes along the lake and is a pretty popular vacation spot. The name Gun Lake is pretty recognizable as there is Gun Lake realty, Gun Lake Hardware, Gun Lake Marina, Gun Lake...the list goes on. I was thinking for the name it might not be bad.

aMomentRemembered.net - This one is purely an emotional one, for the most part it is the women that are interested in pictures, so a play on the emotional side is what I was going for here. Whether it be wedding, family portrait, baby, etc, People buy on emotion and and this one seems to have a nice ring to it. Several people I have sent these to have picked this one. Pretty simple and easy to remember.

So I would like everyones thoughts on it. I can link them all to the Zenfolio page if I want, but I need a branding of sorts and can't pin it down. As you can see! Thanks for everyones thoughts.

First one, no question. It is you, your work.

I'm assuming the second one comes from an area where you live. But what if you move, or travel? Will those photos fit in with such a specific website brand?

Three is horrible. Sorry, it is. It seems like everyone has a chessy name for their photography business. I see names like 'A Moment In Time' or "A Moment Remembered" or "1000 Words Photography" way too often. Don't be a cliche.

Is your lastname.com taken? That's what I got ;). Or ryanlindsey.com

I'm assuming the second one comes from an area where you live. But what if you move, or travel? Will those photos fit in with such a specific website brand?

Yes it is area specific, but a very upper class area. I was just thinking some of the branding was has already been done here.

Three is horrible. Sorry, it is. It seems like everyone has a chessy name for their photography business. I see names like 'A Moment In Time' or "A Moment Remembered" or "1000 Words Photography" way too often. Don't be a cliche.

Cliche, yes. But almost everyone I have asked has said this one. While we may think it's cliche. We're not the ones buying our products either, like I said I only based this one on the emotional attachment that it may bring.

Is your lastname.com taken? That's what I got ;). Or ryanlindsey.com
Yes lindsey.com is taken, RyanLindsey.com is due to expire and I have been watching it for years. IT is no longer in use, but still registered. Used to be the web site for some radio show conspiracy theorist type, but I think he is done now.

Hmm, first one - for sure!

Second one - if you are around there a lot, or at least during season, then yes, by all means, great name. Especially if a lot of "tourists" come there it's free name branding and might open the doors for a few possibilities.

Three - nah, have to agree with everyone else here, too cheesy, to overused (the kind of name that is)...yeah, we are not the ones buying our products, that is true, but we need to stand behind the names we use...and yeah - for me, reading it, I would think it is either something centered around pregnancy / infant photography or some cheesy love photography site with heart shaped frames - just my honest personal take on it...

RyanLPhotography - :thumbup:

The key to success for a retail photography business is successfully selling the photographer, which is why name recognition is so important.

always stick with your name for your domain name + .COM is a must!

You can shorten your domain:
RLPhotography.com
RLindseyphotography.com

Use RyanLPhotography and the rest direct them to your main domain. Whatever you do, do not have 4 similar websites, Google will hate you for it

I appreciate everyones feedback. Looks lke I have to purchase another. lol Should have asked first.

maybe I'm a little late but how much are you purchasing these domains for?? You can get them for $7 on godaddy.com

maybe I'm a little late but how much are you purchasing these domains for?? You can get them for $7 on godaddy.com

What! I paid 50 a piece....kidding I use godaddy. It depends on the domains, the .net usually run 8.99 and are around 12 right now (small sale)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back