Domain vultures!!!

mygrain

Friend to nose goblins everywhere
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just found out that if you accidently let your domain expire and your registry also inconsiderately didn't email you a reminder as they said they would that you could loose your domain to a domain auction house (which is convieniently owned by the same company as my registry) that buys recently expired domains and make you pay upto $60 a year to use your own domain name. My hoster did not email me and my registry did not email me notification of expiration or when my doamin would be release into the public pool. Granted I am to blame for not keeping up with up with my own crap but COME ON!!! Now i am gonna have to either pay the cash (LIKE HELL!!) or register a new domain and start completely over...which SUUUUUCCCKKKSSSS too. I am now in the process of trying to get my money back from my hoster because I blame them partially and can not use their service until I rebuild my website which could take ME weeks and it's been weeks already going through all of this crap trying to get my site back up. AAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!! If anyone has some enlightening information on how I can help fix this situation that would be awesome. :grumpy:

That whole situation is a PAIN!!! You'd think there would be some sort of mandatory notification considering the "value" that domain names can have. Sorry man, I feel for ya.

that sucks! btw, what do these domains cost? i saw once where i could purchase www.jonmikal.com but never got to the page that indicated a price.

Are you able to switch and use a .net instead of a .com or whatever? I don't think I ever saw your site so have no idea if that'll make a huge difference.

That's just not right! I'm really sorry you have to rebuild :hug::

JonMikal said:
that sucks! btw, what do these domains cost? i saw once where i could purchase www.jonmikal.com but never got to the page that indicated a price.
I'm doing a search for the official registry site. They've got a list of approved sites who you can use to register with. It depends on the company you plump for and if you got for a .com .net .biz etc. They all use similar prices, but some charge waaaay too much.

Yahoo charges like 4.95/yr now. Its such a scam(err my situation not yahoo's offer- that i think is more than fair). be warned folks if you have a site and it's time to renew....freakin do it. I had .com posted everywhere. It's all the buisness cards and return art buyers im gonna loose because of it. I have some email address to send word but damn...I prob have given out over 1500 cards int he last year. lol. im such a loser. Thanks for the sympathy...I new i came to the right place for some support!!

I have my business hosted through www.rtshosting.net and I'm very happy with it. I did my domain registration through there and I get a reminder e-mail when it's time to renew, might check them out if you are going to use someone new. Prices are a little higher, but the service is awesome!

Thanks APower (and Associates- you seem so professional now). If i get my moola back I will definately be looking for a new roost.

THEY ARE CHEAPER THAN WHO I USE NOW!! I just bookmarked them. Thanks again. when i do the jump I'll send them an email for you referal. maybe they'll send you some freebies for being loyal. THANKS again Alison.

mygrain said:
THEY ARE CHEAPER THAN WHO I USE NOW!! I just bookmarked them. Thanks again. when i do the jump I'll send them an email for you referal. maybe they'll send you some freebies for being loyal. THANKS again Alison.

:thumbsup: awesome! I've used them as a host service since....gosh...2002 and I've never had any issues. Fast replies to questions and once we did have a domain expire because we forgot to update our e-mail address and didn't get the notification. A few months later it was able to be renewed with no issues. I do keep a back up copy of my website though so that if something ever happened I have it on my computer as well as the server.

Most reactions

Back