Donated Lens Photos 2

Jaemie

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.jaemierobinson.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Having figured out the adapter/aperture issue, I had the chance to take some more photos with the Canon FD 70-210mm F/4 lens I received from pixmedic. C&C are very welcome.

$7842590688_72c63db5c0_c.jpg

$7842591342_c77f9b13c3_c.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a larger crop of #1 which shows more of the empty space around the subject and thus, perhaps, further emphasizes the awkwardness of the situation.

$7843114830_e46b46d909_c.jpg

Two more photos, taken yesterday. In addition to general C&C, I'm interested to hear thoughts on the lens properties. Thank you.

$7866332948_b31b9faca4_c.jpg

I like the geometric contrasts and textures, the shadows and the patina on the pipes. The "vents" and the warm fading light bring a sense of organic life to the masonry. I cut the last vent to create tension; the image seemed too static with three whole vents.

$7866322986_55baa977a5_c.jpg

This is more of a study in bokeh: so many of the fibrous strands are blurred to various degrees and in different ways. I like that the only in-focus elements appear to dash away to the left, as if afraid to be captured.

I think they look great.. #2 was really cool, as was #4. doesn't appear to be any sharpness issues that I can see. Hopefully you are enjoying the lens, and that the quality is good enough to justify buying the adapter for it.

speaking of the adapter.. since you have it anyway..
noone else wanted the 50mm f/1.8 lens we got with the other one, and its an FD mount as well.
If you want it, we would be more than happy to send it to you. noticed you didn't already have a 50mm.
if you want to see pictures of it, you can look up the thread where I posted it originally.

Odd numbers and angles inherently create visual tension. Cutting one off just looks like a goof.

I think they look great.. #2 was really cool, as was #4. doesn't appear to be any sharpness issues that I can see. Hopefully you are enjoying the lens, and that the quality is good enough to justify buying the adapter for it.

noone else wanted the 50mm f/1.8 lens we got with the other one, and its an FD mount as well.
If you want it, we would be more than happy to send it to you. noticed you didn't already have a 50mm.
if you want to see pictures of it, you can look up the thread where I posted it originally.

Thank you for the feedback.

I saw the lens in the thread when you originally posted it, but decided to pass since I'd just received the 70-210mm. But, if no one else has expressed any interest, I would be very happy to have the lens. I already have the adapter and it works fine, and I don't have this focal length in a prime (just the 18-55 kit zoom at f/3.5). I'd love to work with a prime, especially a 50mm at f/1.8 (and yes, I realize with the crop factor it's closer to a 70mm). So... wow! Thank you.

Last edited:
Odd numbers and angles inherently create visual tension. Cutting one off just looks like a goof.

Thank you. The more I look at it with that perspective in mind, the more I see awkward intention. Not really "goof," since that makes me think of a blunder, and I gave it enough consideration to rule out blunder, but poor design easily. Kind of like a Rebecca Black song, but without the charm and staying power. Oh, that's a lovely analogy.

That's a very old building. Notice how the bricks are laid vertically around the pipes? That's called a "Soldier Course" and it's very difficult to lay in a circle, especially three of them that come together. These days everything more about function and those have no function other than aesthetics.

For those close ups Id like to see the first one completely in focus. The second one, Im bothered because the largest wire and the one closest is mostly out of focus. When you decide which is in and out of focus its not as easy as just shooting it. It has to look right. I really like the shot with the pipes coming out of the wall. Nice angles and shapes in that one. I wish you had swung the camera to the left enough to catch the complete 3rd pipe, while keeping as much of the right side as possible. That looks like a really good lens. You're using it well.

Thank you for the feedback.

I saw the lens in the thread when you originally posted it, but decided to pass since I'd just received the 70-210mm. But, if no one else has expressed any interest, I would be very happy to have the lens. I already have the adapter and it works fine, and I don't have this focal length in a prime (just the 18-55 kit zoom at f/3.5). I'd love to work with a prime, especially a 50mm at f/1.8. So... wow! Thank you.

well, seeing as how your receiving the 70-210 lens worked out pretty well, and the adapter works well, we would love to send you the 50mm 1.8 lens so it can see some use again. It is also a MF lens, so hopefully that is not a problem for you. As long as you don't mind it being a manual lens, I will see if I still have your address and get it shipped out this week. The lens has a front lens cap (the Olympic commemorative lens cap) but no rear cap. (sorry)

MF is just fine. It's good exercise for my eye-brain connections. PM me if there's anything you need. :) *does a happy dance*

Jaemie said:
MF is just fine. It's good exercise for my eye-brain connections. PM me if there's anything you need. :) *does a happy dance*

We are just glad to see it go to a good home.

For those close ups Id like to see the first one completely in focus. The second one, Im bothered because the largest wire and the one closest is mostly out of focus. When you decide which is in and out of focus its not as easy as just shooting it. It has to look right. I really like the shot with the pipes coming out of the wall. Nice angles and shapes in that one. I wish you had swung the camera to the left enough to catch the complete 3rd pipe, while keeping as much of the right side as possible. That looks like a really good lens. You're using it well.

Thanks for the helpful C&C, Bynx. All of these were shot handheld in fading light, and that wire was in motion the whole time. But I agree a deeper DOF and/or better commitment to focal point would have helped in the wire image. Perhaps I'll revisit the brick structure this afternoon and bring the tripod.

In the second image can the wires be separated and grouped so that they form a spectrum of color? It looks like you have the colors all there with the exception of orange. White, yellow, green, blue, purple, red, black. Might make an interesting composition.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back