DONATING 35mm Camera w/ 55/1.4 & 28/2.8

Hi,
I'm not sure how likely this is, but I was wondering if that 35mm camera was still available, or if there are others you want to donate. I am a very avid film photographer, and love 35mm SLRs. I a currently a college student at NC State University, and try to get out and snap photos as often as I can. I have a few old rangefinders, and a broken SLR that came with a m42 mount lens. I have really been looking to find a camera body that is working, and that can work with my lens. I do live in the US, and I've been a member for more than two months. I'm not an active poster in the forum, but I do come here often to research on cameras. If it is still available, please consider me for the donation. I would be more than happy to accept it. You can send me a message if it is still around. Thank you!!
-Nick

In M42 Mount: I have a Fujica ST-701 that is working, but the meter is dead. It will work with your M42 mount lens. The Konica TC-X is a different mount, but of course has a 50/1.8 on it. It's a "plastic-Fantastic", probably Cosina made.

The lens has arrived, and I have only had a chance to take a few shots of my keyboard and random things. I'll post more this weekend once I get the chance.

My first impressions is that the lens is just a dream mechanically, really, one of the better focus mechanisms I've encountered. Maybe a little loose, but not at all bad, really very impressive and extremely solid. If my Minolta 50/1.7 is "built like a tank" this thing is built like a ... well I don't know... Build wise it seems very solid. It has a super long throw, which is something I really like and wish more lenses had, and would make an excellent lens for cinema. Bokeh is a little early to tell, but also looks excellent. Sharpness at 1.4 seems acceptable within 4', haven't tried anything further away or closed down yet. I saw one indication of purple fringing on some backlit glass, but it also may have been diffraction in the glass itself. I expect this lens to perform very well stopped down, so far I'm pretty impressed wide open.

I'm excited to see how it handles in the real world. Thanks again pix!

The lens has arrived, and I have only had a chance to take a few shots of my keyboard and random things. I'll post more this weekend.

My first impressions is that the lens is just a dream mechanically, really, one of the better focus mechanisms I've encountered. Maybe a little loose, but not at all bad, really very impressive. It has a super long throw, and would make an excellent lens for cinema. Bokeh is a little early to tell, but looks excellent. Sharpness at 1.4 seems acceptable within 4', haven't tried anything further. I saw one indication of purple fringing on some backlit glass, but it also may have been diffraction in the glass itself. I expect this lens to perform very well stopped down, so far I'm pretty impressed wide open.

I'm excited to see how it handles in the real world. Thanks again pix!

Well, we are pleased that you are pleased! Glad it will see some use again.

With a little more experimenting, I am thinking I'll be using this lens more than I initially thought. It's just such a dream to use mechanically. If the optics hold up as I am expecting, this might make for a good carry around lens, since I prefer 50mm lengths. I really am very impressed by it.

First images from the lens at http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...jack-whites-little-red-organ.html#post2798124

Here is a 100% crop at f/11, focus on knob, SOOC, no sharpen
$organ_crop2.jpg

100% crop at f/2.8, focus on key edge, SOOC, no sharpen
$organ_crop1.jpg

Bokeh shape is nearly round, and "lentil" wide open with a little bit of bright margin and greenish fringing with relatively even illumination at f/1.4. Stopped down to f/4.0 the bright margin becomes more apparent and strongly hexagonal. What this translates to in images is yet to be seen. Will update next week.

What's interesting is that in some examples of the Chinon lens, the bokeh is strongly margined, though this may be a result of the lens version or distance conditions.

f/1.4
$14.jpg

f/4
$40.jpg

All of a sudden I don't feel so guilty doing Bokeh tests after hacking lenses. I've swapped optics out between Sonnars and Jupiters, even made a lens out of the back end of a Nikkor and front half of a Canon. that one was Harsh- but sharp.

^^ it'd be interesting to put a better iris into this lens, I think that the hexagonal iris is really the only thing holding this lens back. I wonder if SK Grimes could do something like that?

SLR lenses had to use less aperture blades than RF lenses because they need to stop down very quickly, and then open up quickly. Getting more blades into them would require making it a manual aperture. It would also require completely disassembling the lens, drilling more holes, and cutting new blades. I think it would be "cost-prohibitive". It might be possible to "tailor" the existing blades to have a different curvature, pick a stop that is used more often- like "F5.6" - and make the curve of the blades best at that stop.

Have you looked at a Helios-44 58/2 in M42 mount? Manual aperture, lots of blades. It is a copy of the Zeiss Biotar.

I think that it is safe to state: the world's only REAL Canikon lens. Wide-open at F1.5.

00AE5CC1ACFA45F1B7B44855C267C74C.jpg

And at F4, lots of aperture blades in this lens.

B66BBB781E664EC7A8CE993F5FC0D1B8.jpg

The hardest part was making it RF-Coupled on a Leica...

Last edited:
This lens is already manual aperture on my DSLR and you can buy stock apertures from edmund for about $40-80. They're less expensive than you'd think. Whether there is enough room between the front and rear group is another story.

I doubt that it would be an easy fix, but getting the aperture into the lens would not be difficult, it's probably held in with a retaining ring and it's probably a standard size. Even if it didn't fit, you could get the next size down and insert a shim. The issue would be coupling.

In either case, it's just a pipe dream. This lens is just too good to futz around with.

Flare is non-existent at f/4 aside from some well controlled ghosting near the sun. Didn't test any other aperture, but f/4 is pretty wide, really.

$flare2.jpg

$flare1.jpg

Looks quite sharp at infinity as well. Some very slight backlight ghosting:

$infinity.jpg

Will post more examples at infinity as I process them.

Now your just looking for a problem so you have a reason to send it back arent you? :-D its ok.. If you dont like it our feelings wont be hurt. ^_^

LOL! I'm just doing the hipsters a service. That way they know that this lens isn't up to their blurry, farey standards!

:)

Received the two lenses from BrianV Friday afternoon. Will post test shots tomorrow. Thank you again!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back