What's new

*Donating* Canon EOS Elan II 35mm camera

minicoop1985

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Sep 3, 2013
Messages
5,520
Reaction score
1,866
Location
Appleton, WI
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone! It's donation time again! This time, we have a pretty close to minty EOS Elan 2. Why this camera? Well, there's a lot of fellow Canon users on this forum, and EF lenses work with this camera, so this is a minimal investment way for someone to get into or get better at film photography. It's been checked over thoroughly, all working, etc. I threw my Tamron 17-50 f2.8 on it, and besides being reminded that it's a crop sensor lens due to vignetting, discovered that the AF system's working just fine. Basically, that's the story with the whole camera-it's perfectly functional. I was a bit surprised that a new lens like the Tamron communicated with the Elan, but that's a good thing: ANY current Canon DSLR owner can throw their EF (apparently EF-S lenses can cause some issues like mirror strikes) lenses on this bad boy and snap away, though crop sensor lenses will create vignettes on the full 35mm frame. Here's the pictures:


IMG_4216 by longm1985, on Flickr


IMG_4217 by longm1985, on Flickr


IMG_4215 by longm1985, on Flickr

The Steinheil I used to hold the back open is not included. :lol: It will need a battery, since it's a lithium and I don't want to end up on some terror watch list for shipping a lithium battery these days... :confused: It does come with a body cap, though.

What I want from you: To be considered, post your current EF lens selection, and if you have any, your current film camera collection. If you have film cameras, tell me why this would be helpful. If you don't, tell me why you want to try film. And, finally, I'd like the winner to make sure to post some of your photos taken with this in the Gallery. I'll post the results in a week. I will handle shipping, so this is free to a good home. Good luck!
 
Last edited:
Nice of you again man. Good luck to whoever wins this.
 
Thanks, Mike.

Come on, nobody's interested in a FREE film camera body? It's a massive improvement over the original EOS Elan. Someone out there has to want this thing.
 
Awesome! I'd love to win this donation! How can I?
 
ANY current Canon DSLR owner can throw their lenses on this bad boy and snap away, though crop sensor lenses will create vignettes on the full 35mm frame. Here's the pictures:

No. Wikipedia says this but I do not beleive it, based on my experience. EF-S lenses will *not* work, if you do somehow manage to mount them (unlikely) you will end up with a mirror strike due to the short back focus. Only EF (Full frame) lenses (new ef lenses will work fine). I used a new EF 200mm IS on an old EOS 1, and it worked.

(I have a similarly old eos 300, and a 1000 in the UK if anyone sees this, and is dissapointed about where it is located)
 
ANY current Canon DSLR owner can throw their lenses on this bad boy and snap away, though crop sensor lenses will create vignettes on the full 35mm frame. Here's the pictures:

No. Wikipedia says this but I do not beleive it, based on my experience. EF-S lenses will *not* work, if you do somehow manage to mount them (unlikely) you will end up with a mirror strike due to the short back focus. Only EF (Full frame) lenses (new ef lenses will work fine). I used a new EF 200mm IS on an old EOS 1, and it worked.

(I have a similarly old eos 300, and a 1000 in the UK if anyone sees this, and is dissapointed about where it is located)

Oh. I based this on the fact that my Tamron (basically EF-S ish) was working just fine on it, though I don't remember if I went down to 17mm or not. I don't actually have an EF lens to throw on it, but I figured there wouldn't be an issue. Guess I was wrong. I'll go fix that.

NedM, take a look at the bottom paragraph under the photos. That should tell you how to enter.
 
Nobody? Really?
 
No one wants film EOSes, basically.

I cant sell any of mine, I tried giving them away!
 
Wow...only one bite. Times sure are changing.
 
I guess film is going/has gone by the wayside for mainstream photography.
 
Apparently the EOS film cameras have. Other kinds are quite popular-sell a Rolleiflex or a Nikon F, and you'll get a very different response.
 
its the thought that counts.
good form minicoop.
 
Thanks guys. I'll get the hang of this eventually and learn what works vs. what doesn't.
 
For the low price of free, I don't see how nobody wants this. It's not like it's a Rebel film body.
I would spring for it but I have no EF glass, maybe someday somebody'll put up a Nikon body or a Nikkor lens.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom