DONATING Nikkor 50mm f/2 AI

more interest in this lens that i had expected (given that its an old MF lens) but noone interested in it to use with a reversing ring for macro work? im shocked! :shock:
too many cheap AF and AF-D lenses floating around I guess. or actual macro lenses.
I will consider the current list shortly, so any stragglers that want in on this better speak up now.
I have more stuff to clear out of my closet so....cant drag this out forever.

more interest in this lens that i had expected (given that its an old MF lens) but noone interested in it to use with a reversing ring for macro work?....

I'm surprised as well! This would be a PERFECT lens for ANYONE wanting to get into macro.... you don't need to be a Nikon shooter to reverse this on your non-Nikon camera! And with the addition of extension tubes, it would make this lens a great macro choice.

im shocked! :shock:..........

Don't blame me!
Electrician-1.gif
nope.gif

I would love to have this lens to complement my nikon D5100. Don't know if I can be considered since I live in Canada.

more interest in this lens that i had expected (given that its an old MF lens) but noone interested in it to use with a reversing ring for macro work? im shocked! :shock:
too many cheap AF and AF-D lenses floating around I guess. or actual macro lenses.
I will consider the current list shortly, so any stragglers that want in on this better speak up now.
I have more stuff to clear out of my closet so....cant drag this out forever.

I've always heard about reverse lensing, but never thought to try it. After just a quick search, looks like something that would be pretty awesome to do and they sell some cheap adapters for it also. I'm willing to try anything, but will also use it for regular MF fun also.

Really cool thing you're doing btw.

more interest in this lens that i had expected (given that its an old MF lens) but noone interested in it to use with a reversing ring for macro work?....

I'm surprised as well! This would be a PERFECT lens for ANYONE wanting to get into macro.... you don't need to be a Nikon shooter to reverse this on your non-Nikon camera! And with the addition of extension tubes, it would make this lens a great macro choice.

im shocked! :shock:..........

Don't blame me!
Electrician-1.gif
nope.gif

It's a macro lens??!

I have also been looking to get a macro lens as I have been doing a reverse lens technique with my 50 1.8D and its GROSS. Please consider young tevo for a fitting recipient as this would be awesome.

It's a macro lens??!

I have also been looking to get a macro lens as I have been doing a reverse lens technique with my 50 1.8D and its GROSS. Please consider young tevo for a fitting recipient as this would be awesome.

I don't think it's a macro lens. It's a plain-jane, old skool Nifty Fifty. It would be a great lens to get into macro with because you can reverse it on just about any DSLR. It doesn't nave to be a Nikon.

What's so 'gross' about the results you get with your 50/1.8 D? Mine performs just fine, both when reversed solo and stacked on my 105 Micro.

It's a macro lens??!

I don't think it's a macro lens. It's a plain-jane, old skool Nifty Fifty. It would be a great lens to get into macro with because you can reverse it on just about any DSLR. It doesn't nave to be a Nikon.

What's so 'gross' about the results you get with your 50/1.8 D? Mine performs just fine, both when reversed solo and stacked on my 105 Micro.

Nothing is gross about the result, the lens itself is gross. Sure, the IQ is decent but the build quality of the lens generally sucks and the manual focus is purely uncomfortable. Then again, I've now been spoiled by gold ring lenses but I digress. I have shot with older Nikon AI and AI-s lenses and I like the feeling and build quality of them. The 50 1.8D feels dinky and hollow.

Hi pixmedic,

I've always admired your work, and even more so your forum etiquette. You help make The Photo Forum a welcoming place.

I'm done kissing up now. I would LOVE to have this lens. My current setup is a Nikon D5100 with kit 18-55mm lens. I have a 32gb SD card, a entry level Manfrotto tripod, a Sunpak 131C external flash, a corded remote shutter, an infrared remote shutter, charger, pop-up flash diffusers and camera bag. I've always taken good care of equipment and probably value it more than my life (I.E. getting all my camera stuff together to take with me during a fire alarm).

I've taken over 10,000 photos - in event, portrait, performance, product, still life, landscape/nature, and other photography forms. However, I have not had the chance to do some nice macro. I follow this "Photography Tips" page on Facebook and I see so many images posted with the caption that the image was shot using the lens reversal technique you mentioned. With this lens I could experiment with macro photography, and I'd also like to try my hand at manual focusing with other types of photography, making use of the lens' speed.

I've tried to get a nifty fifty on my own by emailing camera companies and all sorts of other methods, short of buying. I am a college student surviving on student loans (of which the interest rate just doubled) with little money to spend. And unfortunately, photography is an expensive hobby.

I appreciate you doing this, and I hope I make the cut.

Yours,

Daryll

I know I'm from the UK but would be willing to paypal you postage if you'd consider me. I'm a secondary school amateur photographer and I'm just getting in to portraiture with my D5100. I hope you'll consider :)

Hi I'm been into photography since I was a lil kid but only recently I get to finally bought a good camera at least for me a Nikon D5000 for me it's incredible but I own a 18-55mm f4-5.6 and I can't get the photos I really want of close I do really think that lens would be great for me I could get that final photo without broken pixelate.

well, ive let this one run as long as it needs to I think.
I WANTED to rescue the "damsel in distress", but It appears that it is no longer necessary. :sad anim:
oh well...moving on then.
way more interest in this lens than i would have ever expected. (it IS a pretty solid lens though)
It was a tough call, seems like there was more need for an old 50mm lens than expected, but choices have to be made in the name of
moving on to the next piece of equipment to be donated.
the wife actually had quite a bit of input on this (even though it was MY old lens)
so...drum roll please....

Tevo!

if you would still like this, PM me your address and I will get it out to you...i dunno, sometime. I quit promising ASAP shipping when work started giving out overtime shifts again. I hope you will post some pics of this lens on your F3, and maybe some pics taken with it. would be cool.

-jason

Pixmedic,

I can't thank you enough for your generosity to the members of this board, myself included. I'm honored to be the recipient of this lens and will put it to good use on both my F3 and digital body. Rest assured that it will remain well taken care of. I'm excited to have a dedicated lens for the F3 as well.

Pixmedic,

I can't thank you enough for your generosity to the members of this board, myself included. I'm honored to be the recipient of this lens and will put it to good use on both my F3 and digital body. Rest assured that it will remain well taken care of. I'm excited to have a dedicated lens for the F3 as well.

*fist-bump*

Congrats Tevo!

Maybe donate your 50mm 1.8 now to those who don't already have a 50mm ?? lol

Congrats on winning The Lottery Tevo!!! You're a rich man now, and will be getting checks for $50,000 every month for the next fifty years! Woooooo-hoooo!!!!

Oh, wait...you didn't win The Lottery...nevermind...

I shot the 50/2 for a long,long time on the F3 HP.I have and old metal barrel version of it, then two of the newer RIFR or rubber inset focusing ring variants that were made later. The majority of Nikkor 50/2 models as I recall were made prior to the Ai system being invented, and so, it's most likely that you will need to press the tiny release button and flip up the Ai coupler, and meter this lens stopped down using the DOF preview on your F3. Of course, there was a massive Ai-conversion program back in the day, and many 50 f/2 lenses were updated to have an Ai ridge and secondary f/stop scale for the Aperture Direct Readout of the FM and FE series models,and of course the various F3 series bodies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back