Donating Pelican medium camera bag! EX+ *LOOK*

I currently have a Nikon D40, SB700 flash, 35mm F1.8 Lens, Nikon 18-55 kit lens, a 10-20mm Sigma wide angle, a 70-200 F2.8 Sigma, and the Nikon 55-200 VR lens, related filters, batteries, charger, etc.

My only bag is an Adorama "Slinger", which will obviously not accommodate all of the equipment listed above at the same time. I try my best to "pick and choose" what to have at any given time. The only piece of equipment that won't fit in the Adorama bag is the 70-200 F2.8, which is physically quite large. If I'm planning to use that lens, I either leave it on the camera body, or carry it in the zippered Sigma case, and put it in a generic (non-camera) backpack.

2014 is the year that I'm getting serious about this hobby. I have a few friends who are local professionals, and I'm spending time with them in an attempt to learn the trade.

I do not aspire to become a professional photographer, but really want to be able to take much better photos. Later this year, I'll be fulfilling a lifelong dream of attending SpeedWeek on the Bonneville Salt flats as a competitor. I want to be able to do more than take "snapshot" quality photos.

Owning a single bag that would be capable of serving as a "home base" for all my photo equipment would make the task of organizing and storing my photo goodies much easier.

This past weekend, my wife and I took our kids to the Zoo. Perfect opportunity to take some nice photos, right? I figured the best lens to take along would be the 55-200 VR lens. I didn't want to haul the 70-2000 F2.8, as it was too large, and nothing else I own would allow me to reach out and get close to the animals.

Unfortunately, as I went rifling through the bottom of my closet, I realized that the 55-200 VR lens was sitting in another small bag in my desk at work. DOH! So, I took the 35mm F1.8, and decided that I would just shoot photos of the family and the scenery at the zoo, but would not be able to get close enough to the animals for really nice photography.

If I had been in the practice of keeping all my photo supplies in one larger bag, I would not have missed those opportunities.

Thank you for making this generous offer, and for reading my tale.

Sincerely,

Steve M.

Here's a photo of all my current equipment (minus tripod). Sorry for the low-grade cell phone pic, but all of my real photography equipment is actually IN the photo.

I say close it. I am just about there with the 25 foot U-haul to unload that closet of "extra" stuff you and the Mrs. have lying around.

you should have rented the 40 footer. now your gonna have to make two trips.

I say close it. I am just about there with the 25 foot U-haul to unload that closet of "extra" stuff you and the Mrs. have lying around.

you should have rented the 40 footer. now your gonna have to make two trips.

Hey that's okay, it's warmer down here in CF than it is in OK right now.

looks like interest in this might be winding down.
I might wrap it up this weekend. or not. haven't decided yet. (read: the wife hasn't decided for me yet)
I was asked about my current bag setup. if you are unfamiliar with the Tenba messenger bags, here is ours.

originally, it was just the orange tenba bag. Then i got more stuff. I got a small Lowepro backpack for some backup stuff. then i got more stuff.
donated the lowepro backpack and got the Pelican bag. then got more stuff. finally just broke down and got another Tenba large messenger bag, and here we all are. i still have a little room to grow with these, but not much.
(not included here is the duffel bag with the light stands and umbrellas.)
I think if i ever need a third camera bag, i am just going to get another one of these.
View attachment 65241

View attachment 65242

no new interest in this so...
may try and wrap it up this weekend.
almost last call. if anyone else is interested, better put in for it now.

Last edited:
I am still very interested as I have already previously posted, but forgot to mention that I will hopefully be adding more gear and accessories so definitely need a bigger bag.

looks like interest in this might be winding down.
I might wrap it up this weekend. or not. haven't decided yet. (read: the wife hasn't decided for me yet)
I was asked about my current bag setup. if you are unfamiliar with the Tenba messenger bags, here is ours.

originally, it was just the orange tenba bag. Then i got more stuff. I got a small Lowepro backpack for some backup stuff. then i got more stuff.
donated the lowepro backpack and got the Pelican bag. then got more stuff. finally just broke down and got another Tenba large messenger bag, and here we all are. i still have a little room to grow with these, but not much.
(not included here is the duffel bag with the light stands and umbrellas.)
I think if i ever need a third camera bag, i am just going to get another one of these.
View attachment 65241

View attachment 65242
Yep, many small bags or a wheel barrow. It's funny when a LF becomes easier to take then a Nikon and a stable of lenses.

On shift today. I think this will be the last bump. The bag is all cleaned out, packed up, and ready for its forever home. Last call for any stragglers or anyone on the fence.

Last edited:
Nice thing that you're doing :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back