*DONATING* Vivitar 28mm f/2.5 pre-AI Nikon mount (EX+)

pixmedic

I am the Lord thy Mod
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
up for donation today is an Auto Vivitar wide-angle lens for Nikon. (Pre-AI) (focus assist works fine on our D90)
Comes with front and rear lens cap. (front cap is metal) Lens is in excellent shape. Glass is clean, aperture ring is smooth and clicks properly, focusing ring is smooth. I have recently tested this lens on our D90 and it works fine in manual mode..which is the only mode it will work in, although focus assist does work. This is a pretty hefty lens..it is heavy for its size. it is all metal and glass, built like a tank! I think most of us know how these donations work by now, but for any new people, I will commence with the fine print...

we are DONATING this lens. It is FREE to a good/needy home, and is sent AS-IS with no guarantee or warranty, written or implied of ANY kind. we will pay shipping. continental U.S ONLY. (Alaska is fine if the flat rate shipping boxes from USPS covers that)

the criteria for getting the lens is as follows:
1: you NEED this lens, meaning you DO NOT already have this focal range or reasonably close. (my call)
(having a sigma or tamron and saying you don't like it doesn't count)
(I wont count zooms, as this is a fixed focal)
2: you already have a camera capable of mounting this lens (no putting the cart before the horse)
3: you live in the continental united states (im a stickler on this one, sorry)

I realize this is not some stupendous piece of glass that people will be beating down the doors to get, but if you are interested, reply to this thread with your gear list and why you feel you need this lens, and what you intend to photograph that you need it...just go easy on the sob stories please, they will win you no bonus points. (I have a child)
I do not discriminate between film or digital cameras, since this is a manual focus lens either way.
People that have been a forum member longer will get priority, and people that have been a member less than one month will not be considered. (sorry, contribute to the community before you ask for free stuff)

The only thing we ask in return, is that when you receive the lens, you post pictures of it showing that the transaction was successful, and that the person we SAID got the lens, actually got the lens. For the skeptics, I think we would score fairly well from previous donations, and we thank everyone who has helped make them successful, and making us feel good about donating more stuff.

View attachment 21040View attachment 21041View attachment 21042View attachment 21043

If it it pre ai focus assist should NOT work. So it has been AI'D, correct?

If it it pre ai focus assist should NOT work. So it has been AI'D, correct?

um..maybe? honestly, I cant say for sure. what I CAN say is the little light in the D90's viewfinder blinks as I turn the focus ring, and then goes solid when its in focus...so..whatever that means. sorry I cant be more helpful. im guessing that was the focus assist, or was I wrong? (should have waited until the wife got home and asked before I posted i guess)

Ok first off thats not AI has nothing to do with focusing. AI means Aperture Indexing and was the cut in the ring that engaged the tab on later nikon cameras. On pre AI cameras that had Photomic meters there was an Arm that came down from the prism and engaged the tabs and that is how your meter coupled with the aperture on the lens. Pixmedic is right that the rangefinder dot will come on when your focus is correct on a D40, D90 , etc when this lens is mounted on it. Having said this this lens is safe to mount on a D40 , D50 , D60. I know you are not supposed to mount pre AI lenses on D2, D3 cameras and the like because you can break the AI tab off if you do.

Pixmedic I could use this lens on my camera D40 I currently have an 18-55 Nikkor kit lens, and will be happy to chimp the histogram to use this lens. My budget wont allow me to buy a lens in this range with this f stop.

ETA I shoot lots of landscapes and architectural photography this would come in handy for me and the fact that it is f/2.5 would be a big boon
Thanks for the consideration have a great day .

Last edited:
This lens should NOT be used on a D50 or D70. In fact, this lens should NOT BE mounted on the vast majority of NIKON Cameras made since 1977!!!!

The only bodies this lens really should be considered are the D40,D40x,D60, and the D3000- series and the D5000-series. Here's a chart.Nikon Lens Compatibility

This lens should NOT be used on a D50 or D70. In fact, this lens should NOT BE mounted on the vast majority of NIKON Cameras made since 1977!!!!

The only bodies this lens really should be considered are the D40,D40x,D60, and the D3000- series and the D5000-series. Here's a chart.Nikon Lens Compatibility

Thanks Derrel ... I get the D50 and D40 confused sometimes.. I knew the D40 and D60 were kosher.

well, going by the picture and descriptions on the lens compatibility site, i would venture to say that it is AI factory converted.
it has two rows of aperture numbers. Not to mention that it mounted and worked just fine on the D90. took a few test shots and even the aperture works on it. according to the site, non-AI lenses wont mount to the D90. I also just tested the lens on my D100 and it works fine on it as well. so...I guess it is not a pre-AI.

well, going by the picture and descriptions on the lens compatibility site, i would venture to say that it is AI factory converted.
it has two rows of aperture numbers. Not to mention that it mounted and worked just fine on the D90. took a few test shots and even the aperture works on it. according to the site, non-AI lenses wont mount to the D90. I also just tested the lens on my D100 and it works fine on it as well. so...I guess it is not a pre-AI.

Do you see a notch cut in the aperture ring? if not then its not an AI converted lens. If the ring is solid all the way around it is a pre AI configuration.

Do you see a notch cut in the aperture ring? if not then its not an AI converted lens. If the ring is solid all the way around it is a pre AI configuration.

in the picture i posted, there appears to be a notch cut out of the underside of the aperture ring. is that the notch you are referring to?
man..i am glad you are around to help straighten this out. :hugs:

Hi Pixmedic based on your photos the lens is not AI or AI'd here are images I shot with my cell phone of my 135 f/2.8 AI Nikkor lens and the notches in the aperture ring I was talking about. The ring on the 28mm you have is solid so it definitely looks to be non AI. Hope that helps.

Best to you

$AI ring 1.jpg

$AI ring 2.jpg

Ok..maybe you guys are just confusing me..this isnt a nikkor lens. Its a vivitar lens. Does that make any difference?

the notches should still be there to my knowledge to engage the tab on the camera Pixmedic On Nikon cameras that are compatible with AI lenses there is a tab

It looks like this. A NON AI lens will not interface this tab because there is no notch and can break the plastic tab off. On cameras like a Nikon F4, F3 , FM, FM2 and FM3A the tab folds up.

So if you don't see a notch cut out for the tab to interface and allow the tab to move and rotate the lens is not AI and even after market lenses have them if they are AI compatible.

$AI Tab.jpg

well, i seriously don't know what to make of this.. i swear to you this lens worked fine on the D90 and D100. focus was fine, blinking light was fine, aperture was fine.

Well I have a d40 that this may work excellent on lol... I don't have anything this wide ( aside from a 35 prime) and I will put that thing to use.

I would like my son to be considered for this lens. He is a first-year college student at Delaware College of Art & Design and is using my 18-135 kit lens on his D40 (his 18-55 kit lens broke out of warranty). He also has an F90 I gave him for HS graduation, with a 35-80mm f/4 Nikkor.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back