I am the Lord thy Mod
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Dont even remember when or where I got these. we've never used them.
Vivitar coated close up lenses. #1, #2, #3 in 52mm. LN condition with leather case.
They are a cheap alternative to getting an actual macro lens for close up work.
I have NO idea how well they do or do not work since we have never actually used them. I have heard mixed reviews. might be good for just giving macro work a try to see if you like it.
If you are not sure how they work, or what they do...look up "close up filters" on the interwebz.
in a nutshell, the close up lens turns a normal lens into a macro lens by reducing the lenses minimum focusing distance. depth of field is shallow, so use a smaller aperture.
it probably doesn't do as good a job as an actual dedicated macro lens.
want to try some macro work? maybe test the waters before investing in an expensive macro lens? here you go. cheap as free.

so...there it is.
most of you know how this works by now.
(ALL rules and criteria are subject to me and my wife's discretion and may be changed and/or the donation cancelled at any time for any dumb old reason)

FREE to good home, shipping is on us.
continental United States only.
please only put in for these if you already have a lens to put them on.
if you are interested, post HERE with what lens(es) they will be going on.
PLEASE don't ask me if these will fit on your lens. lenses have the filter size printed on them. if not, look it up on the internets.
*tape measure NOT included.*

-Jason and Wife

View attachment 38027
View attachment 38028

Last edited:
You should see if you can find out if they are multi or single element. If they are multi-element then they could be quite a high grade whilst if they are single typically they'll be lower grade options.

You should see if you can find out if they are multi or single element. If they are multi-element then they could be quite a high grade whilst if they are single typically they'll be lower grade options.

there isnt much in the way of specific information on these...
all i could find online is that vivitar made these in single and 2 element versions. no idea how to tell the difference. these are older, and have japan stamped on them. other than the filter size, vivitar branding, and coated, there are no other markings on them or the case.

Hmm you could try them out on your digital camera - should be easy to use them. And then just check the edge performance - weaker ones generally show very poor edge performance

Hmm you could try them out on your digital camera - should be easy to use them. And then just check the edge performance - weaker ones generally show very poor edge performance

ill give that a try when we get home from the vet. puppy get his last set of shots soon.

Dont even remember when or where I got these. ...

I think when you get an emergency call, you rifle through the poor slob's house or car looking for photo gear to give away. Pity the schmuck having a heart attack at home or bleeding out in a roll-over..... I think you go on a scavenger hunt.

JK. ;-)

I think you've given away more than I've ever owned. Kudos!

Hi I would not mind playing with these I have a cannon 50mm and would enjoy working with these until I am able to afford a real micro set up in like maybe the next 3 years. But it would just be for playing around so if someone wanted to really get into micro I would pass me up I just be goofing around with these.

I would be interested in these if they are still available - always wanted a close-up lens but cash always seems to get in the way - this sounds like a decent alternative - thanks for posting even if they go elsewhere!!

Just to let you guys know...these are incredibly tough lenses to work with especially when the focal length is 60+ mm. I use one of these on an Olympus Zuiko 28mm f/3.5 and I have pulled off some great results. But IF you have a 50mm (80ish equiv) you will have minimal success. Keep in mind that the one I am using is a +10 model therefore the DOF is super (SUPER) thin. Sometimes 1/8th of an inch or so.

Example: IMG_7774 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Ex taken with t3i, OM28mm, and +10 extender.

Even the thought of having something made by the Original Vivitar makes me excited. However I don't know if i have much with 52mm threads. If they were 67mm then they'll fit my Vivitar 70-210mm 3.5 lens. Good luck to who ever gets them.

-Hunt

Even the thought of having something made by the Original Vivitar makes me excited. However I don't know if i have much with 52mm threads. If they were 67mm then they'll fit my Vivitar 70-210mm 3.5 lens. Good luck to who ever gets them.

-Hunt

Well, let us know if anything turns up in 52mm.

I would love these to start macro. I'm a college student and am saving all my money for law school. This would be the perfect way to begin a type of photography I've always wanted to try. Thanks for the consideration :)

Dude did you knock over a UPS truck with scads of old photo gear or something? :lol:

Most reactions

Back