Don't go easy on me

Did I just shoot with to slow of a shutter speed and got camera shake?
Missed the focus some how?
Was shooting at f1.8 a horrible idea and gave me a soft photo?
Maybe I fudged it up in post?
Or is it a combination of everything?

Yes!

wb is very warm?
icon10.gif

Reset the white ballance to the frame around the print in the back ground. It is the only thing I know was white since his shirt was an offwhite.
IMG_2136-2_zps0f46818e.jpg

This photo is destine for the bin. Missed focus = garbage.

This photo is destine for the bin. Missed focus = garbage.

No dought about it. But if it was a keeper or not was not the question. What's the point in just tossing stuff and not trying to fully understand what all was wrong with it?

Doesn't it seem more likely that the focus was in front of their faces and torsos and more or less on the arm?
Perhaps you are right, but providing a little padding in both areas takes both motion blur and DOF issues out of the equation, which I believe is a good way to go for a beginner.

Reset the white ballance to the frame around the print in the back ground. It is the only thing I know was white since his shirt was an offwhite.

It sort of looks like there might be competing color temps. Were there florescent lights to her right? The left portion of the frame seems to have a little bit of a greenish cast to it. Could be my new monitor though, still haven't quite gotten used to it yet.

No you are right there was a white tile floor with florescent lightning above it to her right and an open window spilling in the late afternoon sun to his left.

No you are right there was a white tile floor with florescent lightning above it to her right and an open window spilling in the late afternoon sun to his left.

The white balance can be more of an artistic interpretation. Go with your gut. You do not always have to have a specific reference point. They are obviously too yellow so cool it off some. But remember that no all things will balance out perfect so sacrifice some for the more important ones.

One thing I would like to point out that you did do right. They both had nice, fitting smiles for the portrait.

Ahh yep. Then that will introduce quite a bit of WB trouble. There's always B&W though :D haha

Today when I was taking a few shots of a jeep I went to switch AF modes from one shot to AI servo and to my suprise the camera was in AI focus mode, and I am assuming it was in that mode all day when I shot the pic that I posted this thread about.

Correct me if I am wrong but I am thinking that focusing on one spot and reframing is pointless in AI focus mode with such a small DOF even if only using the center point.

People rely too much on the hardware. You MUST learn to keep a super stead hand on the point of snap. this will blur pictures much more than when the subject moves. I never go below 1/125. 1/50 is way too slow for non tripod photos.

I disagree. they're positioned on teh same 'plane' and 1.8 would work. going higher will make it a bit easier though

never photograph more than one person at 1.8

you're bound to get one person out of focus. 2.8 is a pretty good place to try at 50 mm.

way too slow shutter as well. get over 1/100 or even 1/250.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back