Doorway

JonathanM

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
P5060211_edited-1.jpg

The picture was taken near betws-y-coed, Snowdonia. In the forests to the east of the village there is a small village of maye 10-12 houses. Up to the late 1920's this village had a small population, mostly because of local slate quarrying. then a bridge crossing a river was destroyed in a storm (I think) and not rebuilt. Links to the outside world became poor, and in effect the village was deserted in 1929.

Seems surprising that even in living memory such a thin could happen. The village is now accessible by car due to Forestry commission tracks, and at least one house has been renovated & reoccupied.

This wasn't taken with the E500, it was taken with a Olympus FE100 4MP compact.

Neat shot. Thanks for sharing the story too. I would love to wander around there, as I really dig old places like that.
Nicely done. !!

Rob said:
Cool shot! Looks like a great place to poke around and get shots!

Rob

Thanks guys.

It is a place I'd like to go back to with the E500 & a choice of lenses & tripod. Although someone lives only 100 yards away there was a feeling of isolation, probably because the cottages are now so derelict - caution needed if you go poking around inside them.

It is off the beaten track, and isn't signed. I accessed it as part of a days 4x4 "greenlaning", hence why I only had the FE100, not the DSLR, but I'm actually pleased with the product of an £80 compact, even if I lost some creative control over exposure etc.

I can give you a OS grid reference if you are interested, as you can't really see the place, even on a large scale OS map.

nice shot, sounds like an interesting place... :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back