What's new

Dot sights ??

I had to look up what they were- I know they are used for firearms all the time. What is the exact theory behind their use on a camera? I’m guessing that you can lose sight of fast moving objects though the viewfinder with the lens zoomed in - and the red or green dot offers a much wider field of view. But that’s just a guess. To tell the truth it seems a little gimmicky to me- but to each their own
 
A quick Google search gave me phillipreeve.net:
In this review I am going to look at something else than a lens for a change, namely a dot sight. So what is it used for?

According to TTArtisan, they developed this dot sight mainly because of the photographer’s shooting needs. Bird photographers and astrophotographers have a very narrow angle of view when using a telephoto lens, which makes it difficult to quickly target the shooting area. The dot sight is close to the normal angle of view of the human eye, which helps photographers quickly target the shooting area.
It sounds like the smaller "viewfinder" you see on telescopes.
 
TTARTISAN Camera Dot Sight for Telephoto Photography. It provides a wider view at 600mm and features an optical red dot to help you stay on target. This could help me with flying bird shots or other fast moving targets.

 
Last edited:
Thanks, smoke, that never occurred to me ... :boggled:
 
I had to look up what they were- I know they are used for firearms all the time. What is the exact theory behind their use on a camera? I’m guessing that you can lose sight of fast moving objects though the viewfinder with the lens zoomed in - and the red or green dot offers a much wider field of view. But that’s just a guess. To tell the truth it seems a little gimmicky to me- but to each their own
A little gimmicky. Can you remember when the photo was what you saw in the view finder and with good cameras you had to focus it yourself. Won't be long and you can put it under the car and it will change your oil!
 
For my wildlife shots, I normally use 600mm, so hopefully it will not take much calibration each time.
 
A little gimmicky. Can you remember when the photo was what you saw in the view finder and with good cameras you had to focus it yourself. Won't be long and you can put it under the car and it will change your oil!
Can I remember…. That got me thinking- I had a Polaroid 220 Land and various 110’s and 135’s (in my youth) when the viewfinder was little more than a window of plastic with some lines on it that kinda sorta showed what you were likely to see in your photo- of course you said ‘good cameras’ which excludes my examples- but I do get what you are saying
 
I have watched a few YouTube videos and the sight seems to give a huge advantage with the field of view, which is always a problem for birds in flight @ 600mm
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom