Double orchid

Kimba

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My father has spent years trying to grow a really nice purple and white orchid. Finally after about 5 years it flowered. not only did it get 2 flowers on the plant but one of the flowers is a rare double orchid so pic were needed!
Let me know what you think.
3800018801_63f5ba826f_o.jpg

3800837348_d58229bd02_o.jpg

Beautiful orchid. When I photograph my orchids, not nearly as nice as this one, I try to slip in a contrasting background a couple of feet away from the flower so that nothing like a window frame or the background can take away from the flower. With all the layers that a flower like this can have I will also use an aperature opening of around f/11 to get the whole flower in focus. With the years put in trying to get this flower I would keep experimenting with the photos at different levels and angles to get a "portrait" of it for him. Here's a link to my orchid picture, using black plastic as the background and early morning natural light.

Definately delineate that white background from the white flower.

I agree about getting rid of the distracting background. A trick my husband used when doing wild flowers was piece of green construction paper which with the proper camera setting blurred to a nice muted green background. I personally like certain flowers [like orchids] done against a black background. Mooimeisie's idea of black plastic sounds good...going to have to remember that one myself.

Keep in mind, some competitions don't allow flowers on black, if you ever want to go that route.

Keep in mind, some competitions don't allow flowers on black, if you ever want to go that route.

Really? I didn't know that. Is that true also if you make the background black or almost black when shooting, or only for an artificial black background?

thanks for the advice guys. will definately go back and re-do with a black background and see what i can come up with. I'll post new pics soon.

thanks for the advice guys. will definately go back and re-do with a black background and see what i can come up with. I'll post new pics soon.
The two shots in your first post look a little underexposed and the lighting is really flat. Not sure what your plans are for future photography equipment but you might want to consider adding some strobist gear to your list to help light up your subjects in the future.

Really? I didn't know that. Is that true also if you make the background black or almost black when shooting, or only for an artificial black background?

In the last competition I was in, a beautiful flower was literally laughed at because it was just the flower on black. It wasn't natural, and it wasn't technically a still life. It becomes more of a graphic. Just something to keep in mind.

You all should search your area for photo clubs, and join as many as you have time for. Lots of learning available, mentoring, comeradary, field trips, competitions, shows...

i would love to joing photo clubs but i work full time & have 2 kids. on my saturdays i'm spending time with a local photographer so that is helping.

I see your point and agree with you about time. For me, I'm happy to have TFP to take place of photography clubs.

In the last competition I was in, a beautiful flower was literally laughed at because it was just the flower on black. It wasn't natural, and it wasn't technically a still life. It becomes more of a graphic. Just something to keep in mind.

You all should search your area for photo clubs, and join as many as you have time for. Lots of learning available, mentoring, comeradary, field trips, competitions, shows...

I had mentioned this to my husband and he agreed with you. He said on black its not considered to be\look, natural. I had no clue. :blushing: I always found it to look more artisitic on black.:confused:

I would love to join a photo club, but there is only one in my area and it meets at a time when I can't get there....not to mention its in a bad area of the city. :(

Most reactions

New Topics

Back