Douro, Dourado

Actinometro

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This explains why the 'Douro River' (Porto, Portugal) is a golden river.

(Translation: Douro - Of Gold; Dourado - Golden)

imggolden.jpg

Tokina 11-16, f/4, 16 mm, ISO 3200, no flash, Hand-held

Wow, it really is golden isn't it? That combined with the silver boat really makes for a beautiful image.
You shot that hand held? Well done, what shutter speed did you use?

Thank your for your comment.

Yes I did it hand held but I was leaning against a power pole.
SS = 1/10 sec

Well, the location is obviously very cool.

You've sorta made the boat the subject, and it's not interesting enough as composed or exposed to carry the image. The grass and the walkway on the left are super distracting and I'm left wanting to see the skyline and the reflection, which is not only not really visible in the shot but also at an off-angle which I'm not sure will work (looks like you were not in the best location for the skyline).

No, didn't make the boat the subject !
I used an UWA just to get a multi-plan general landscape.
There is no main subject in this kind of photo. There is an whole harmonic 'ensemble'.
This is a realistic view of the place.

Thank you for you comment.

I think you miss my point. The boat is the point of "interest" with the composition you have chosen. This may not be intentional, but it's still what grabs you the most in the shot. The boat is the subject of the shot.

I think you miss my point. The boat is the point of "interest" with the composition you have chosen. This may not be intentional, but it's still what grabs you the most in the shot. The boat is the subject of the shot.

I'm not of the same opinion.

In a landscape there isn't necessarily one subject, at least one only subject.

Put this very photo in other fora and do you know what got people attention ? The distant bright bridge. So ...

Thank you for your comment.

I'm not of the same opinion.

In a landscape there isn't necessarily one subject, at least one only subject.

Put this very photo in other fora and do you know what got people attention ? The distant bright bridge. So ...

Thank you for your comment.

I agree with both of you for the simple reason that my eye keeps going from the bridge to the boats... :)

However I don't think it is worth fighting about because the shot is not that great. Way too much grass in the foreground and the metal thing mid frame on the left side is frankly not very appealing. Then, the city doesn't seem to be in focus which does make it seem more like the boats are the subject.

The idea is nice but if you live in this area I would re-shoot it. Most probably with a tripod so you are not stuck with the power pole dictating your composition.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back