Douro

Actinometro

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
HDR - light games, Douro river, Portugal.

imgdourosurreal75.jpg

Did you shoot this through the peephole of the fallout shelter?

(I rarely ever make comments like the above, but this is way overdone, sorry.)

hahahaha... that is the first time I have ever seen Invisible make a comment like that!

But yes.. the image is way overprocessed. Badly so! It seems to be a fad that all noobies go through, unfortunately some of them don't seem to outgrow it. It isn't ART.. no matter what they say. I have seen good HDR art.. and overcooking is not a component of it! :)

Pretty image, awful awful processing.

This will sound contradictory (in light of my comment above). I'm a firm believer that, in disciplines in which creativity is involved, you only get better when you receive constructive criticism and positive reinforcement. Mocking doesn't work. I hope you didn't find my fallout shelter comment offensive, because that was not the intention.

The sooner you outgrow the hyper-saturated HDR look (like Charlie mentioned), the faster you'll find yourself taking photos you'll be proud of for years. I saw that you take photos in abandoned buildings, so you're already on the right path :)

I cant stop laughing about the peephole comment.
But yes way overdone. Hang on while I get my
sunglasses.

Thank for your constructive comments.

If I intended to get a realistic photo, I already had the direct shot.

I don't follow established rules, I follow my eyes and my aesthetic sensibility.

Bad or good it's mine!

In fact I shot this through the peephole of the fallout shelter ! Did you ever dare to try it ?

And Yes HDR is overprocessment.

Let me paraphrase again: [FONT=arial, sans-serif] [/FONT]"I don't know where I'm going to. I know I'm not going that way !" - JOSE REGIO

Last edited:
This will sound contradictory (in light of my comment above). I'm a firm believer that, in disciplines in which creativity is involved, you only get better when you receive constructive criticism and positive reinforcement. Mocking doesn't work. I hope you didn't find my fallout shelter comment offensive, because that was not the intention.

The sooner you outgrow the hyper-saturated HDR look (like Charlie mentioned), the faster you'll find yourself taking photos you'll be proud of for years. I saw that you take photos in abandoned buildings, so you're already on the right path :)

Of course I didn't get offended. I am truly grateful.
This kind of comments teaches me how limited people can sometimes be and how castrating following consensual rules is.

The main problem i felt is that the upper half of the image is not matching with the bottom half-storm above and a spring below!!!. Why some bungalow or something glowing there? e-rose (she is back) would call this nuclear....... ;)

Regards :D

...and I knew Invisible would euphemistically revisit as he has done ;) . One could have easily guessed that from his etiquette all we know :D

regards :D

HDR in itself isn't over processing, and can get beautiful results. What you did however, was not just HDR.

The only rules I went by when judging your image is does it look pleasing. And it doesn't. Because the water is grayed out. And theres a weird super highlight on the building. And its a shame, because that has the possibility of being an incredible image if done "right" in HDR.

That's just my 2 cents though, obviously.

The main problem i felt is that the upper half of the image is not matching with the bottom half-storm above and a spring below!!!. Why some bungalow or something glowing there? e-rose (she is back) would call this nuclear....... ;)

...and I knew Invisible would euphemistically revisit as he has done ;) . One could have easily guessed that from his etiquette all we know :D

regards :D

Thank you for your opinion.
You are right, upper and lower parts of the image don't seem to match. Light was high, passing through the clouds and creating hi-lighted spots down there.
Clouds moving fast making sudden changes in light: a storm in the sky and the spring on the ground. I pushed the scenario.
I exaggerated that contrast using lighting effects in photomatrix and I meant to: a tragic sky over a surrealistic terrain.
Please look at the same shot bellow, an HDR without those effects. I know a lot people prefer it this way.

imgdouro75.jpg

Last edited:
Surrealism is a personal fancy; some like it, some don't. (I am a huge fan of Salvador Dali.)But here the image does not have sufficient elements to be classified purely as surrealistic.
The brilliance of light makes the original image less attractive; you could have waited till the sun is masked by clouds to bring in the element of gloom....

Most reactions

Back