Down by the river (and more)

No idea...I would provide EXIF if I knew how.
What photo editing software are you using? You can get the exif information there (somewhere). Or you can use a stand alone utility like Opanda IExif.
I'm mostly worried about composition. If I can't figure that out I'm boned.
"Your first 10,000 photos will be your worst." You may not get it right away, but you will get it. Just read up on composition at some of the many web sites that offer composition tips. And here are two good books on photo composition you might want to check out...[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Photographers-Eye-Composition-Design-Digital/dp/0240809343/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231876954&sr=8-1"]The Photographer's Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos by Michael Freeman[/ame] and [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Photography-Art-Seeing-Perception-Workshop/dp/1552636143/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3C3R4ZI2XQF09&colid=2D1HKU1VP2K9R"]Photography and the Art of Seeing: A Visual Perception Workshop for Film and Digital Photography by Freeman Patterson[/ame].
I'm terrified deep down that I will never be a good photographer.
Do you want to become a professional photographer? It takes time, effort and lots of practice to become good at photography. Don't expect to be good your first year. You'll eventually develop your "eye" and take good photos, just don't rush yourself. Don't worry, be happy.

I played with a couple....just a quick play mind you....

cropped out square thing in back, zero'd out sat and vibrance, dropped contrast a hair.

DSC_0118.jpg

Again cropped for the rule of thirds, bumped up contrast and zero'd out sat for an artsier contrasty look

DSC_0128.jpg

DSC_0005-Edit.gif

Check out this edit my friend did tonight on an earlier shot I did, shot with my telephoto (pretty sure anyway.)

I have/use Irfanview/Photoshop and Lightroom. I'm nowhere near proficient with Lightroom or 'shoop though.

Last edited:
Very nice photos, I live in SE Vancouver right by the Fraser!

I read in another thread that you've taken, or are going to be taking a class through the local school board. Is the class through the Vancouver School Board?
I am planning on taking the beginners class later this month. ANy feedback would be appreciated.

This last image is still overexposed... software can't bring back detail that isn't there (much like we couldn't bring back detail that wasn't on the film in the darkroom back in the day)

As a WAG, I am thinking about 2 stops overexposed... it'll also bring back detail and contrast in the stumps.

Can't bring back detail that isn't there? So in other words....is it best to take darker photos and just enhance them in photoshop?

Most reactions

Back