Down by the river (and more)

Shutterinsect

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
There's a river behind my workplace, I usually go down near the river on my lunch break to destress and see what interesting things I can find to take photos of. You may remember my Geese pics...that was the place!

Anyway, C&C welcome (what the heck is C&C anyway???) but please be merciful on this n0ob, eh? My course starts in 6 days so I'm trying to practice every day!

DSC_0116.jpg

DSC_0115.jpg

DSC_0123.jpg

DSC_0127.jpg

DSC_0128.jpg

DSC_0130.jpg
(I have an obsession with bare branches...)

I'm trying to work on composition...

Is this the Fraser shutter?

#1 and #2 look over-exposed. I think it would look neat to zoom in on the logs and maybe have them off to the right... (b&w maybe)

Hmmm I could've sworn I commented on these already. But I agree with forzabrian,
the first two ARE over-exposed.

But try side-weighting your subjects, it's pleasing to the eye. :)

You are correct, it is the mighty Fraser..one of the most environmentally-threatened waterways in the whole country. :(

I still dunno how to work exposure, sigh. Feel free to monkey with my pics but show me the results!

DSC_0118.jpg

DSC_0139-1.jpg

Btw these were all taken with my new expensive lens.

Please explain "side weighted" for me...thanks.

I'm trying to get over my bad habit of putting everything dead centre.

Yeah, that's what I mean.

There's something called the "The rule of 3rd" or... "The nine zone grid"

Basically, you place your image on either side in the nine zone grid. and place the center of the subject on a point of intersection of these lines.

Here's a picture I snatched off of google images to help you understand better:
rule_of_thirds.jpg

I've heard of the rule of thirds but I still don't completely "get it." Maybe you could tell how I am doing "the thirds" wrong in my photos?

Anyway, I monkeyed with one image in Lightroom:

DSC_0115-2.jpg

This last image is still overexposed... software can't bring back detail that isn't there (much like we couldn't bring back detail that wasn't on the film in the darkroom back in the day)

As a WAG, I am thinking about 2 stops overexposed... it'll also bring back detail and contrast in the stumps.

No idea...I would provide EXIF if I knew how.

I'm mostly worried about composition. If I can't figure that out I'm boned.

I'm terrified deep down that I will never be a good photographer.

You think 2 kn4ds? Do you know what your aperture was when you took this?
As I said... a WAG.

And actually, the aperture was 1.4, shutter speed was 1/500, and ISO was 200, and the image was shot in aperture priority.

So yeah... I do know what the aperture was.

Last edited:
Shutter you are WAY too hard on yourself! There's no rush - keep taking pictures as often as you can. Try different things, take pictures of the same thing 10 different ways and then decide which one you like best.

No idea...I would provide EXIF if I knew how.

I'm mostly worried about composition. If I can't figure that out I'm boned.

I'm terrified deep down that I will never be a good photographer.
Bah... you actually are a good photographer.

Remember, even pros shoot hundreds of images to get a few good ones. That's the advantage of the digital cameras... we don't have to pay for processing (or processing chemicals) to see what we've captured.

Keep in mind bracketing, too... when the camera thinks the exposure is right, take the shot, but also go manual and shoot 1 and 2 stops less, and 1 and 2 stops more, using either aperture or shutter, depending on the depth of field you are going for.

None of us shoots perfect images every time... I'd encourage you to experiment, maybe even go further than one or two stops when bracketing. With time, you'll find what works in various situations. There just isn't a way to say "in this situation, your settings should be this."

You're doing fine. You're learning... that's what we all do everytime we shoot and then view what we've captured!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back