Downgrading...

Antithesis

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.epanderson.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here's my hypothesis: A big clunky camera becomes absolutely useless outside a professional environment. I recently took my 5D to mexico with a small sack of primes and it really got on my nerves, lugging around 15 extra pounds of stuff. I did end up getting some stunning photos, but it makes me wonder if I couldn't have done it with something simpler, smaller, lighter?

I'm abstaining from most professional photography until I'm done with school, so I'm strongly considering getting the most limited little slr I can get and just enjoying the act of taking pictures without dealing with all those technological bells and whistles. Is a little, easily removable, dust spot really going to detract from the meaning of a photo? Doesn't noise add character to an image?

Discuss.

film grain adds character
noise does not!

AS for downgrading to a lighter setup - either a lighter SLR setup with a light cheaper zoom lens or a high end bridge camera I certainly think its worth considering. Myself I don't take my DSLR out much for general non-photography trips - and even when I go on holiday with family it gets in the way more times than not (they also don't always wait for you to change lenses - and you can forget about setting up a tripod!).

In those cases a cheap and light camera is ideal - yes you won't walk away with shots as good as if you had the DSLR (in image quality terms mostly) but you will be able to focus on other things - like spending time with others - rather than thinking about which lens is best, what your aperture should be at and so on.

I have often wanted a lighter camera just for those moments - but I would not now downgrade to a simple point and shoot for the fact that the auto shooting modes would confuse me more than aperture, shutter speed and ISO do! A highend bridge camera lets me retain that simple control over things as well as offering a good zoom range on the lens

It really depends on the nature of the noise. I personally love the subtle layer of noise of the D200 at ISO200-300 with colour noise removal applied, beyond that it just starts to look... noisy. The other case where noise adds character is in black and white grunge style photos that can also sometimes be good, but neither of these compare character wise to shooting film, or shooting noise free and adding a film grain in post processing.

I am not sure what your options are on the Canon side, but the superzooms that are so rightfully shunned for quality work may be a great option. I own a complete Nikon kit with 7 lenses and many accessories, but the last 3 months I spent in Europe and Canada I took only the following with me:

D200
spare battery (no battery grip)
charger (well derr)
18-200mm (no f/2.8 glass, didn't want to carry it)
105mm macro (i wish I had the lighter 60mm macro)
cheap old tripod (large heavy manfrotto was left behind)
standard backpack (lowepro stayed at home because I couldn't fit cloths and stuff in)

All of this fits into a standard backpack (including the tripod) along with maps, 4 days of cloths, and a book of sudoku puzzles. I got some strange looks from the people I went to Prague with I told them I didn't bring a suitcase but still had a completely functional set of camera gear in my bag.

Oh and when I came home I returned the 18-200 to my friend and hugged my big lenses.

just as a point (since I read your other thread) don't sell your good DSLR gear!
If you look at the two examples above from myself and Garbz we both either use (or want to use) lower end kit in some cases and situations - but neither of us wants to dump our prized high end gear.

If I were you I would think long and hard on this - infact I would put the camera aside (but not sell it) and give it a break for the time being - getting a small point and shoot/bridge camera to fill in for it. Give yourself a rest and in time I would expect you to move back to your more expensive and higher class gear when your interest returns (And return it will dont' worry about that :))

Get a TLR, a tank, a scanner and some chemistry. A Rollei would of course fit the bill but a Yashica MAT 124 (don't bother paying the extra money for gold contacts on the 124 G's meter, besides the 124 has a metal winding gear as opposed to the 124G's plastic). The Minolta Autocoard is supposed to be pretty good and of course a Zeiss should be good as well.

You could also look into a 120 folder. 6X6, 645 or 6X9 take your pick. You can find them with coated lenses from f/2.8. Your basic medium format rangefinder with a PC flash terminal.

You could go from being a high tech Pro to the coolest guy on the block overnight. and still get great quality photos. ;)

I've certainly considered getting a little bit more into film. I used to shoot a roll of B&W film through my FG20 every once in a while, and I think I still have a developing tank, but I do love manipulating photos on the computer. There's just so much more you can do after the shutter clicks, and I like that.

I'll probably get a world of criticism for this, but here's what I did before the wind left my sail: I sold the 5D and bought a little nikon d40... It still takes great pictures, and I got it for $250 with the kit lens. I may have a buyer lined up for the kit lens for $75, effectively making it a $175 camera body that does everything I need. Oh, and it weighs next to nothing. I also found a Sigma 10-20 for $300 and jumped on that because I can't live without a decent wide-angle. I'll probably pick up a 18-105VR for cheap and that will be my kit. No super heavy lenses, no large bag to weigh me down. I found that I was able to take most of my pictures on a 20mm and a 50mm with my 5d, so I'll end up having quite a few more options.

Oh, and I just found out that Nikon released a 35mm f1.8 af-s that costs a mere $200. That's awesome!

And for the future, I'll probably rebuy some high-end gear when I actually need it again. The first gen 5D was starting to get a bit long in the tooth anyways, so whatever.

I just want to enjoy photography for the pure act of taking pictures. Not because I have some new-fangled gizmo or lens, I just grew tired of it. Back to basics for this guy.

Sounds good.

The scanner was so that you could do post on the negs and then have them printed. If you go 35mm then a cheap flatbed w/film attachments will do. ;)

(just in case you get the urge. LOLOL)

Canon SX110is :) GREAT camera! light and not too expensive either, takes some great pictures, 10X optical zoom too....

I've certainly considered getting a little bit more into film. I used to shoot a roll of B&W film through my FG20 every once in a while, and I think I still have a developing tank, but I do love manipulating photos on the computer. There's just so much more you can do after the shutter clicks, and I like that.

I'll probably get a world of criticism for this, but here's what I did before the wind left my sail: I sold the 5D and bought a little nikon d40... It still takes great pictures, and I got it for $250 with the kit lens. I may have a buyer lined up for the kit lens for $75, effectively making it a $175 camera body that does everything I need. Oh, and it weighs next to nothing. I also found a Sigma 10-20 for $300 and jumped on that because I can't live without a decent wide-angle. I'll probably pick up a 18-105VR for cheap and that will be my kit. No super heavy lenses, no large bag to weigh me down. I found that I was able to take most of my pictures on a 20mm and a 50mm with my 5d, so I'll end up having quite a few more options.

Oh, and I just found out that Nikon released a 35mm f1.8 af-s that costs a mere $200. That's awesome!

And for the future, I'll probably rebuy some high-end gear when I actually need it again. The first gen 5D was starting to get a bit long in the tooth anyways, so whatever.

I just want to enjoy photography for the pure act of taking pictures. Not because I have some new-fangled gizmo or lens, I just grew tired of it. Back to basics for this guy.

I was actually going to tell you that all you'd need is the following for an awesome light setup:

Nikon D40/D60/D90 (your pick, based on ISO requirements)

new 35mm 1.8 G
new 50mm 1.4 G (could get the 1.8 or 1.4 options, based on above body choices).

Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 or Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 (depending on body choices)

I've found that the 50mm prime, for me, is sufficient reach for anything I'd be interesting in shooting. The wide angle is more difficult to determine because of the body non AF-s issue with the D40 and 60.

Canon SX110is :) GREAT camera! light and not too expensive either, takes some great pictures, 10X optical zoom too....
Hi guys,

New here and really enjoy this web site! I started another thread today about the new Canon SX200IS asking for peoples' opinions on it. Antithesis hit so many nails on the head in his initial post! Exactly the way I feel too! Lugging everything around with me just didn't seem practical for me. I want to be mobile, light and fast also! So I'm seriously considering getting a Canon SX200IS when they become available later this month. The SX200IS has a 12x optical zoom and 12.1 MP sensor. Looks cool!

:)

My Nikon D200 with the battery pack, 2 batteries in it and an 18-200 Nikkor lens *is* my point and shoot or travel camera! :lol:

I am not averse to carrying a few pounds on my back if it means I get nicer results. Just moving back and forth between the D700 and the D200 makes me frown... I have to REALLY be desperately overloaded to even consider the D200... I am not kidding!

First of all: Great thread Antithesis! This weight thing really has been on my mind in the past few weeks.

I'm quite new to photography (got my 450D/XSi three months ago) and my interest in photography just keeps rising. But equipment -wise i've thought a lot about what i need next. Part of me is saying: "you're going to the USA for student exchange next year, buy lot's of L lenses there for cheaper!!" but at the very same time i keep thinking: a) do i need them b) am i going to get sick of the weight of the damn things.

I already slaver over Canon 5D MkII but then the body would be bigger and heavier than my current one. AF-S lenses don't fit to it so lot's of heavy, and expensive, L's would be needed. Pro bodies don't even usually have build in flash and no matter how crappy that thing is, i don't think i'd always want to carry external flash with me. So i'm kind of leaning towards to not even concider the high end stuff yet because so many situations wouldn't suit them (fishing trips etc).

Currently i've thought about buying three lenses: Tamron 17-50 f/2,8 as a replacement for the kit lens, 50mm f1,8, and 55-250mm f4-5,6. Why those specific ones? Well they cover most of everyday needs and still fit my very compact camera shoulder bag, just. Perfect! That package i can easily carry to most places. And situations for which i can't i'll take my much too simple P&S, Canon Ixus. Now that i've used my DSLR there's no way i'd swich back to only having point and shoot!

Point of my post is that i think that people should think about where they need their camera equipment and how much extra weight are they really willing to carry there. Only after that should they run into the shops. If you're rich, buy three sets: high end, light DSLR and P&S. But if you're not, you should concider other aspcets as well than only the performance of the camera / lens / flash etc. Surely i'd get better shots from my hiking/fishing trips with FF & L's but would it be worth the pain of throwing extra weight to already very heavy backpack... :)

Last edited:
But then it could be that you don't need a smaller camera but just a bigger camera strap. Or limit yourself to just one lens- 28-105mm or something.

Or go the TLR rout. ;)

Most reactions

Back