Downgrading...

Here's my hypothesis: A big clunky camera becomes absolutely useless outside a professional environment.

I ran into the exact same problem... I ended offloading almost all of my equipment for something smaller. I tell yah.. it is liberating to carry the camera everywhere comfortably.... the camera becomes a part of your daily life.

some of you might remember this pic just before I sold... (recently even went smaller)

294650379.jpg

I say start with the G10 and shoot!

Last edited:
I take my d90 ( no strap ), and a 35 f/2 or 50 1/8 everywhere. That's it !
It makes shooting more fun to be on the lighter side of things. :)

took these today with that kit.

p627077106-2.jpg

p562986360-2.jpg

Your 5D isn't a bells and whistles kind of machine unless it's a MkII! I carry mine everywhere.

I do however second the sentiments of going with a nice film camera. Rangfinders are a blast to use and very compact as illustrated above. I picked up a Kiev 4A(b) with a Jupiter 8 50mm f/2 for $20. It takes stunning pictures and the bokeh is more pleasing in my opinion than most of my other lenses. I just need to get some new leather for it and it should be good to go for another 75 years of abuse. Oh and the effective basline of the rangefinder is longer than a Leica M6! You can also pick up a Zorki (Leica clone) and a colapsable 50mm lens for quite cheap and take it ANYWHERE. These options are also cost effective enough to allow you to keep your nice digital stuff.

I used to have a Rebel XTi and Tamron 17-50 and that's all I'd ever need when I went on vacation. It was small enough, could've been lighter, but I wanted the f/2.8 lens. That's all I needed. Sold it and boy do I miss it when I need to pack my 1D MK II.

I would get a D40 and a 18-70mm if you don't want to go with film...it doesn't get much cheaper, better, or more fun that that

and a Holga135 or Vivtar Ultra Wide and Slim for when you are feeling really simple

Most reactions

New Topics

Back