What's new

Downtown Sacramento

sl0wkarate

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jun 14, 2012
Messages
9
Reaction score
2
Location
Lincoln, Ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm still much in the process of learning photography but I figured I'd post a picture I took on a walk of downtown Sacramento tonight. I feel that it's an improvement from what I was shooting before. I did an attempt at cropping but I'm not sure if it's actually a good crop or not so I'll be posting cropped/uncropped >< Any who here it goes.

#1 - Cropped
$Building Cropped 800.webp

#2 - Uncropped
$Building Uncropped 800.webp
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/slowkarate/BuildingUncroppedMax.jpg) Full Size

Settings

Camera - Nikon D90
Fstop - f/5
Exposure time - 30 sec(forgot my remote ><)
ISO speed - 100
Exposure bias - 0
Focal Length - 18mm
Max aperture - 3.6
Metering mode - Spot
 
Last edited:
#1: meh..

#2: Sweet. I like it. Sacramento has a surprising number of great sights and you captured this unexpected river scene very well. The shadows on the water are splendid. Is there an excess of magenta overall? I wish we could see a larger image; my eyes are straining to see detail in this photo. Thanks for sharing.

Note: In the future, please number your photos for easier reference.
 
Fixed the numbering, was pretty late when I posted this so I didn't even think to do that. I'm not really sure if there was an excess of it but the weather was kind of weird. Most of the clouds we managed to get pictures of last night were coming out in funky colors. I'll upload and include a link of the full size image when I get home, another thing I forgot /sigh.
 
I like the second one the best, as it has, for me at least, the three components of a decent "landscape" shot - a foreground with the posts, a midground with the lights along the edge of the river and even the building and a background - the clouds. This is one I could really experiment with - bump the ISO to 200 and even 400 with the same exposure. I would also want to try matrix/evaluative/multi-zone metering as compared to spot metering. I would do these "experiments" just to see what the difference was in the final product and, of course, raw shooting as well. My 0.02¢ FWIW.
_____________
WesternGuy
 
Added a link to the full size image, used photobucket since I already had an account. If there is a better site to use please let me know :D.

@Jarrod: Thanks for the Link! Was only able to read a short bit of it since I've been pretty busy, but it's already cleared a few things up for me.

@WesternGuy: I'll have to give those a shot next time I swing out there, that spot is relatively easy to get to(aside from parking). I do already shoot in raw though.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom