Well.. Duotone then.. Guess my lact of attention to such aspects of photography are showing through.
I can see why "photo students" would say it works.
Technically I think what you have done is within the "rules" of which I imagine said students would be studying.
Without the experience of said studies I just look and re-look amd see what a picture makes me feel.
I think that angle conquers your photo.
The angle is more noticeble than the content itself.
The most defined object that relays the severity of the angle is the frame of the mirror.
At the top of the photo the frame of the mirror is very.strong, and it has the most pleasing lines. But then my eyes follow the sides of the mirror down and on the bottom left corner I get jammed because the left corner of the mirror is cut out of the shot. Then my eyes move abrasively against the angle of the mirror toward the right, and they start searching for what the subject must be??
And then I pick up on the dresses.
Look back and forth between them, ok I get it.. But then that frame, the angle, I look again up and down.
Its hard for me to get away from the angle and the mirror frame. Like I said I feel its kinda abrasive, I think its stealing the shot.
But that's just my over detailed, and un edu-ma-cated opinion.
I hope I've not shared too much of my opinion.
I do like this shot.
And does duotone refer to more than just the tones of this picture.. Like, should it make me think of a type, or style, film, digital.... Er is it all and just as easy to achive via photoshop?