Dress like a photographer.

But really...

Its a valid concern. I've seen "photographers" show up in a t-shirt and jeans. I will too if I'm working outdoors at a farm/construction site or in a hot warehouse. But in a situation like a "bookstore" setting," we have to remember we're not only representing ourselves, but the client too.

-Pete
Yep, and that's why you ask the client for clarification, not an online forum. ;)

IMO Polo shirt, and Khakis.

I'm about 8 months into photography, and I read somewhere about getting a "bigger hat" and now this thread has the hat involved too.
Could someone explain please, What is the Iconic photographer's hat?

If you do ask the client (and you should) I hope you post his answer.

Talked to the client. There wasn't any specific dress requirement, he just wants me to look like I was hired to be there. He determined that the gear around my neck would probably be enough for most people, so I should wear whatever I want. I offered to wear a shirt with his logo on it, but he said it wouldn't be necessary. No fanny pack required.

Back to the hat/vest discussion.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet or not.. but it's a good idea to wear black or white clothing, so as not to cast colors reflecting back on your subjects. I wore a purple sweater recently to a shoot, and ALL of the skin tones had a faint (and sometimes not so faint) purple cast to fix in editing. ><

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet or not.. but it's a good idea to wear black or white clothing, so as not to cast colors reflecting back on your subjects. I wore a purple sweater recently to a shoot, and ALL of the skin tones had a faint (and sometimes not so faint) purple cast to fix in editing. ><

Good tip. I defaulted to black on my own. Seems like every photog I see in Los Angeles has a black shirt on, so I played it safe.

There's only one thing to differentiate you as a pro and not just some schmuck with a camera. The Vest:

TheVest.jpg

Canon vest ftw!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back