Dress like a photographer.

DrongoPhoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
drongophoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I booked a gig for a retail store grand opening in Los Angeles and the guy told me to "dress like a photographer." It's not a fashion boutique, more like a bookstore, so I thought I would take a quick poll of the experts.

What does "dress like a photographer" mean to you? All black with a fanny pack and a vest?

Cargo pants and photo vest.

KakaduTraveller-vest-black1.gif

Other than nature photographers (they all dress the same, have the same hair, same beard, etc) - I don't think there's a uniform, lol.

I can't find a picture... But I'm sure you've seen one before... Khaki (or olive drab) cargo pants, tucked-in and buttoned-up flannel shirt (sleeves might be rolled up), full beard, and maybe a surplus field jacket from the army/navy store - depending on the time of the year. Oh yeah - medium-to-longish length, unkempt hair.

I booked a gig for a retail store grand opening in Los Angeles and the guy told me to "dress like a photographer." It's not a fashion boutique, more like a bookstore, so I thought I would take a quick poll of the experts.

What does "dress like a photographer" mean to you? All black with a fanny pack and a vest?

I have no idea what that means, but I always dress to fit in with the rest of the crowd which makes it easier to take photos without being noticed and to get natural expressions as opposed to pasted or stiff smiles. I have by the way actually done photography while wearing a tux.

skieur

Other than nature photographers (they all dress the same, have the same hair, same beard, etc) - I don't think there's a uniform, lol.

I can't find a picture... But I'm sure you've seen one before... Khaki (or olive drab) cargo pants, tucked-in and buttoned-up flannel shirt (sleeves might be rolled up), full beard, and maybe a surplus field jacket from the army/navy store - depending on the time of the year. Oh yeah - medium-to-longish length, unkempt hair.

P1020224.jpg

sadly whilst I had the hair and the beard was getting there each time I head home someone sends me out on the mission to be trimmed into something "respectable".

AS for the topic - I think they simply mean that they want you to look like you belong as their photographer and not just a guy in a suit with a camera (so common). They want to know you are the photographer - a general pocketed or photographers vest along with bits of gear and an iconic hat should do the trick

Have we met?

611848662_aJMmE-XL.jpg

You forgot the remaining criteria. Smokes like a chimney, drinks like a fish and cusses like a sailor. :lol:

You're askin' the wrong people! :lmao:

Ask the guy paying for you to be there. :thumbup:

You forgot the remaining criteria. Smokes like a chimney, drinks like a fish and cusses like a sailor. :lol:
Oh yeah. I thought that was implied, lol. :lmao:

Oh, you just reminded me - they are usually photographed holding or standing near a camera. :lol:

You'll definitely need a beret. Oh, and hang an expensive light meter around your neck.

There's only one thing to differentiate you as a pro and not just some schmuck with a camera. The Vest:

TheVest.jpg

You'll definitely need a beret. Oh, and hang an expensive light meter around your neck.

Sometimes we have big events at work with all kinds of important people and, of course - photographers. The last one I remember, a beret was pretty much the only thing he was missing. Skinny black jeans, skin tight black t-shirt, light meter and everything. It was actually kinda funny...

What made it even funnier was that everyone (about 1500 people) was there way early, so we all had to stand around waiting for the VIPs for three hours - the photographer didn't have a strap for his camera, and you could tell he was getting tired of holding it. I guess he was scared to set it down somewhere (no reason for that, really - very secure facility, no way it could have gotten stolen).

...That was an expensive day for the company. 1500 (or more) people, who all make $20-30/hr, standing around (on the clock) for 3 hours...
Some of them were probably on overtime too, lol.

Oh yeah - the speech we waited around for was like 5 minutes. :lmao:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back