Drew - Cool, Calm & Collected

kundalini

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
794386282_hQrpo-XL.jpg

Thanks for looking. Comments always welcomed, crit always appreciated.

SEE EDITED PHOTO BELOW

Last edited:
I dont know if its the look on his face, the lighting or the crop, but It doesn't do it for me. What lighting did you use?

I probably couldn't do much better with a portrait like this but the things that stand out are the crop (namely, the top of his head is chopped off), focus seems to be on his mouth rather than his eyes (on 2nd thought and look, i can't tell if the eyes are in focus but they might be), face seems oversharpened (look at all the facial imperfections), and the "cool, calm and collected" part of the title doesn't seem to fit here, at least from the way I see it.

Last edited:
This seems to be suffering from a case of over sharpening.

It looks like you missed the focus point and tried to unsharp mask this back.
As well I think the crop could be a bit tighter on the back of the head, I find if you are going to crop the top of the head in this type of shot, you should also crop into the back of the head, it tends to balance it out.

The lighting is nice and even, but more dramatic lighting would have really punched this one up.

I agree looks like you oversharpened this. His hair is a bit odd looking with it as is his suit.

It's kind of a cool shot but i find a couple things odd.

First off the background is incredibly soothing (color) and yet his face has that "i'm plotting your gruesome death!" look to it. like hes an evil genius or something.

And also his forehead looks really big. I'd try and use a different angle so it isnt so big.

Otherwise it looks nice.

Thanks to all of you that took the time to comment. I tried to take some of your advice with a re-edit. But...... I don't do a great deal of adjustments in post (lack of useage) and I had what I wanted the image to look like. I'm pretty sure that I missed focus, but thought that at f/5, the eyes would still be sharp.

Any thoughts on this?

795710325_PJVfE-XL.jpg

Thanks for looking.​

yea the eyes seemed to of missed the mark and it seems over sharpened still...

I think the crop bugs me, I can't take portraits though, just offering what i see, is there a "fuller" version that could get a re-crop?

I think you are going backwards, I would completely start over on this one.

I dont know if its the look on his face, the lighting or the crop, but It doesn't do it for me. What lighting did you use?

Okay Tulsa, twice you've chimed in on my post now with a 'you don't like it' type of response. The fact that my photo doesn't do it for you has little impact for me, however, could you backup your own words? I mean, your critique seems rather empty, don't you think? Sorry, 'empty' may have been a bit strong, but they were certainly lacking any real substance IMO.

You go and start a thread Questions for C&Cers here only last week. Using your very words...
... If I dont like it, I will give suggestions on how to improve on a certain picture or in the future...
..., then back that statement up and give me something, in your opinion, that will improve this shot...... or were you just pissing in the wind?

I was going for a certain look. I'm not sure this particular photo is going to reveal what I envisioned. It's the only one out of the shoot that I have tried to edit so far. Perhaps there is another in the set that will do it, I don't know yet. I am just entering into the portrait segment of photography. I don't do a great deal of PP and dealing with skin has been a challenge to say the least. If you have any techniques or other solutions to consider, then please, lay it on me. Otherwise, view if you will and then go on to the next thread.

Last edited:
Could we see this one in a nice Black and White. The colour of the wall is not quite right for the image, but I bet it would work in Blach and White.

I like it as is (save for the ear ring) About the crop, I can't say without seeing the original. If that's it, then I do like it as is.

Okay Tulsa, twice you've chimed in on my post now with a 'you don't like it' type of response. The fact that my photo doesn't do it for you has little impact for me, however, could you backup your own words? I mean, your critique seems rather empty, don't you think? Sorry, 'empty' may have been a bit strong, but they were certainly lacking any real substance IMO.

You go and start a thread Questions for C&Cers here only last week. Using your very words...
... If I dont like it, I will give suggestions on how to improve on a certain picture or in the future...
..., then back that statement up and give me something, in your opinion, that will improve this shot...... or were you just pissing in the wind?

I was going for a certain look. I'm not sure this particular photo is going to reveal what I envisioned. It's the only one out of the shoot that I have tried to edit so far. Perhaps there is another in the set that will do it, I don't know yet. I am just entering into the portrait segment of photography. I don't do a great deal of PP and dealing with skin has been a challenge to say the least. If you have any techniques or other solutions to consider, then please, lay it on me. Otherwise, view if you will and then go on to the next thread.

+1
I have yet to receive any meaningful C or C from Tusla.

Don't like it. Its got a creepy factor to it IMO. Its over sharpened, his eyes and eyebrows and forehead are out of focus(was there a blur tool used here?), and the background is a little too flesh toned. Looks like your focus was on his earring and neck for this shot. Just recomposed and adjust for the next one. Have him tilt up his head a bit more too.

Most reactions

Back