Drinks to Warm You Up! C&C (BESP)

I love the first shot.
The fire in the backround and the reflection capture me.

I also like the fact the glasses are not full, leaving that small area at the top with the darkened rim. I believe it adds some balance to the shot.

Nice job, what time for drinks?

Such great work! The subject is sharp and infocus, the back ground has great bokeh and really makes the drinks "pop".

I like the portrait version but I think giving a bit more room around the drink, it seems a bit too tight.

The top photo has the better exposure on the fire, with the right color on the flames, and the reflections of the fire in the bases of the two glasses is nice. The small, red fire reflections inside each glass, at the bottom,are also really nice little details. My main concern is that the framing is too tight at the left edge of the picture, with the taller glass almost touching the frame edge. Otherwise, a pleasant photo with good lighting.

The bottom photo is framed too tightly,and the flames are overexposed and shifting toward yellowish orange, which does not look as pleasing to me as the flames above. The small amount of artificial light you introduced in both photos is adequate. It is in fact, almost the perfect amount of light.

The top photo has the better exposure on the fire, with the right color on the flames, and the reflections of the fire in the bases of the two glasses is nice. The small, red fire reflections inside each glass, at the bottom,are also really nice little details. My main concern is that the framing is too tight at the left edge of the picture, with the taller glass almost touching the frame edge. Otherwise, a pleasant photo with good lighting.

The bottom photo is framed too tightly,and the flames are overexposed and shifting toward yellowish orange, which does not look as pleasing to me as the flames above. The small amount of artificial light you introduced in both photos is adequate. It is in fact, almost the perfect amount of light.

Thanks Darrel. Now is evident for me, after so many comments that I am cropping too tight my shots. Something to follow up.

Regarding the overexposed chimney in the second shot, I think is was due to I was using spot metering pointing to the cups which were darker.

I like the first photo the best. the angle and comp is good......... Walking to my bar to get a drink!

As said several times...Give your subjects some room!

Seeing the 2nd image, landscape orientation, I see that something is needed in the lower right. At least to fill the projects requirement of hitting 3 of the 4 sweet spots. I like the elipses created by the rims, and bases in the first shot much better than the straight side shot.

I like the dichotomy of the icy cold looking drinks against the warm cozy fire. When I first saw this image, I wanted to drink one of those. So, what's in the glass? :)

You can see with this project, there is a lot that can be done to change things to work towards an "ideal" shot. It can be a lot of work. The subject could be raised and lowered, to accomodate getting the better angle of the subject, and move farther or closer to get the right feel from the background. I think you did a nice job working with your makeshift lighting, and it shows you gave this a lot of thought.

I really like the first one better. I especially like the focus on the rim of the glasses. When i shot mine, i was trying to focus on the front of the rim. To me, yours looks more clear in on the back of the rim (probably because of the salt and such) and i think it looks great! To me, the fire in the background has just enough DOF to make out what it is, feel the warmth of it, yet not take away the main focus of the drink.
Definitely makes me want to sit and have a drink!

So, what's in the glass? :)

This is funny and shouldn't say this but what my wife put in the drink was lemonade!

Our idea was to have a kind of white liquid which would pop up in our dark environment. The trick was to point a white light lamp to the top of the cups.

I hope you still want to have the drink!

Hahahaha. No, you shouldn't have said. :lmao:

Although, I do have some Vanilla Bean Lemonade in the fridge. :)

Good choice though. It is a great decoy for anything from Smirnov Ice, to some sort of Martini. :thumbup:

The Lighting on both are very nice, the warm background really accents the cool drink.

1. really nice angle brings out the lighting even more and gives you an earge for the drink.

2. Th lighting is again nice, however the angle and the background turn me off from the drink.

Also im kind of confused where the first light was (the 50watt) if you could explain a bit more or draw a diagram in MS paint or something

The first straightened shot is the one I prefer. However, I would crop off the top of the pic above the glasses just below the dark horizontal area that divides the fire.

Also im kind of confused where the first light was (the 50watt) if you could explain a bit more or draw a diagram in MS paint or something

iBats, I have posted a diagram along with the pictures with the lighting layout. Let me know if you still have any question.

(see my first post).

I love the first picture. Makes want to start a fire, fix a drink and relax.

Great Job! *first one.
I really like the contrast of cool drinks and hot fire, with their respective hot and cold colors.

I feel like the glass is cropped a little close to the left edge, but other than that nice work.

Nice shots! Very clean, sharp, well focused, with good composition. I know you doubted the strength of the lower angled shot but I do like it. Only comment I could make about that composition is that I feel the top is a bit tight, would like to see a bit more room there. It is apparent you spent a good deal of time considering angles and lighting, and the exposure in the portrait shot is awesome. The landscape is a bit blown out in the fire. Nice job :)

Disclaimer – C&C given without reading any previous comments in the thread, per the instructions of the group; redundant comments possible and probable.

Most reactions

Back