Drone operator ID-10-T fault

I don't find it that surprising. I don't get what people are going to do with all the footage they're shooting anyway. I suppose the FAA will take a look at existing regulations and might need to make further restrictions or penalties/fines or whatever since this can't be allowed.

After the hurricane hit Texas, I read where authorities were asking drone owners to fly around and shoot video and photos. Examine damage, search for people etc. My first thought was,"It's illegal".

Yep. In Texas, you can't video or photo anyone's property with a drone above 8 feet without written permission.

While I agree that people should keep their drones out of the way of emergency services, among other things, this statement,
URGENT: @CAL_FIRE has had to ground all aircraft after a drone was seen flying over the fire fight.
is so utterly over-reactive it's ludicrous.

Considering the damage a single goose can achieve if struck by a jet aircraft I can see why there might be policies regarding drones; however I would expect a helicopter to be more robust at slower speeds and to be far more likely to just smash a drone to parts unless its a very big drone - one of the ones that can carry a DSLR and a big lens could be of enough size to cause a potential risk?

I think it highlights how fragile many aircraft are and how empty the skies around them tend to be. Airports certainly go to extreme lengths to keep the skies around them empty of avian life.

Considering the damage a single goose can achieve if struck by a jet aircraft I can see why there might be policies regarding drones; however I would expect a helicopter to be more robust at slower speeds and to be far more likely to just smash a drone to parts unless its a very big drone - one of the ones that can carry a DSLR and a big lens could be of enough size to cause a potential risk?

I think it highlights how fragile many aircraft are and how empty the skies around them tend to be. Airports certainly go to extreme lengths to keep the skies around them empty of avian life.

You’d be surprised. I work for an air ambulance provider and the helicopters are for more fragile than you might imagine.

If the rotor blades bump into *anything* they are immediately replaced at a cost of $180,000 *each.* and there are four of them. We had a pilot accidentally catch one of the blades on the side of the hanger door while pulling the helicopter out of the building. Mind you, the helicopter was not running. The blades were stationary and impacted the surface at well under 5mph; yet we still had to replace the blade that made impact because even the slightest imperfection can throw the balance of the aircraft off.

A consumer drone, even a DJI spark or similar, would cause extreme problems if it ended up striking the rotors of a helicopter in flight.

With the low altitude aircraft operate at when fighting a wildfire; it’s absolutely understandable that they would ground aircraft for a drone sighting.

Helicopters are actually very robust, and the chances of any serious damage (that is, damage that would affect airworthiness) occurring from a drone strike is very low. Yes, they'll replace the rotors for even a slight bump, but if you look at the damage that those rotors can inflict on something you'll realize just how tough they are. Check out YouTube for footage of the venerable old UH-1H "Huey" working in Vietnam.

Helicopters are actually very robust, and the chances of any serious damage (that is, damage that would affect airworthiness) occurring from a drone strike is very low. Yes, they'll replace the rotors for even a slight bump, but if you look at the damage that those rotors can inflict on something you'll realize just how tough they are. Check out YouTube for footage of the venerable old UH-1H "Huey" working in Vietnam.

Modern helicopters aren’t Hueys. They’re made to be a lot lighter and more efficient.

Will a helicopter crash if a drone gets into the rotors? Maybe, maybe not. Will it cost half a million dollars to replace the blades? Yep. And who pays for that? The drone operator?

Helicopter are very odd, they live in this odd world between rising and dropping. Between the fire generated winds, smoke, low altitude flying ... any/all fire suppression aircraft do not need an unexpected drone "attack" during a fire run.

Agree that drones are probably more trouble than good. It's true how much damage a goose can do to an airplane.
I should think that civilian choppers are quite delicate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Most reactions

New Topics

Back