Drops from above...

mswiech

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well this weekend I decided to try my hand at some water drop photography. All there were captured with a D3100 with a 50mm F1.8G, Metz 50 AF-1 to the camera left wirelessly triggered by a pair of Cactus V5 Duo.

First attempt with just water only and a blue construction paper background in a cake pan.

Camera Nikon D3100
Exposure 0.004 sec (1/250)
Aperture f/8.0
Focal Length 50 mm
ISO Speed 100
Exposure Bias 0 EV
Flash 1/32

Drops from Above by mswiechwaterloo, on Flickr

2nd Attempt but decided to mix it up with using some condensed milk and water with a bit of corn starch for a thickening agent and food coloring along with neon pink construction paper.

Camera Nikon D3100
Aperture f/9.0
Focal Length 50 mm
ISO Speed 100
Exposure Bias 0 EV
Flash 1/32

Double the Drop by mswiechwaterloo, on Flickr

3rd Attempt but decided to mix it up with using some condensed milk and water with a bit of corn starch for a thickening agent and food coloring along with a tri color paper.

Camera Nikon D3100
Aperture f/8.0
Focal Length 50 mm
ISO Speed 100
Exposure Bias 0 EV
Flash 1/32

Big Gulp by mswiechwaterloo, on Flickr

Love the first one! the second one is too "globby" for my taste. The third one is alright, but i think the shadow detracts from the image. Nice sharpness in all three.

Thanks. I will try to work on the 3rd one in PS to take down the shadow some more. Cheers.

No. 1 is really nice.

You probably don't need as much thickening in the water. Try glucose, guar gum or glycerine in low quantities in water. Milk should thicken it enough without other additives.
Also.. Dishwasher rinse aid... Makes the water surface tension lower... Only a few drops though, or it gets bubbly.

No. 1 is really nice.

You probably don't need as much thickening in the water. Try glucose, guar gum or glycerine in low quantities in water. Milk should thicken it enough without other additives.
Also.. Dishwasher rinse aid... Makes the water surface tension lower... Only a few drops though, or it gets bubbly.

Thanks. I will be trying out different additives in the future. Much appreciated.

Most reactions

Back