DSLR and filters?

RMThompson

the TPF moderators rock my world!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Do any of you use filters? Is it worth using a filter of any type on a DSLR when you can achieve similar effects in PP?

Do any of you use filters?

yes.

Is it worth using a filter of any type on a DSLR when you can achieve similar effects in PP?

well, many effects you cannot achieve in PS.

- split neutral density filters cannot be replaced by PS action since the dynamical range of sensors is pretty limited

- grey filters cannot be replaced by PS action

- polarisers cannot be replaced by PS action

- i am sure there are more ;)

As for myself, on digital i do not use colour filters or any sort of effect filters (blur or whatever), since those can be pretty much mimiced by photoshop.

- split neutral density filters cannot be replaced by PS action since the dynamical range of sensors is pretty limited

Not that I wouldn't recommend split neutral density filters (I do use one myself), but, you can get around this by shooting 2 exposures and combining them in photoshop.

Not that I wouldn't recommend split neutral density filters (I do use one myself), but, you can get around this by shooting 2 exposures and combining them in photoshop.

partially agreed. it works only with no moving objects at the borderline of bright and dark.

so whenever you have a static situation you are right.

partially agreed. it works only with no moving objects at the borderline of bright and dark.

so whenever you have a static situation you are right.

Partially agreed. :p

You can also convert two exposures from 1 raw file. I've done this successfully many times when I didn't have a tripod to get two identical shots.

Partially agreed. :p

You can also convert two exposures from 1 raw file. I've done this successfully many times when I didn't have a tripod to get two identical shots.

think we reach convergence now ;)

if the differnce in brightness is within certain limits, then starting with one RAW might help .

sorry for getting carried away in your thread, RMThompson ;)

All of my lenses have UV filters on them to protect the front element. They are on 100% of the time.

The only filters I use with my DSLR are polarizing and ND.

A polarizer would be pretty difficult for me to duplicate in Adobe PS; much more difficult than using the pol filter in the first place.

I use ND filters to keep the shutter speed down to the flash sync speed when using big apertures in bright sun. In bright sun the exposure can be 1/2000 @ f/4 with ISO 100. I want to get it down to 1/250th @ f/4, so I use a 3 stop ND.

I carried split NDs in my film bags for a while. They were screw on style, so the split was always right in the middle. The sky in my compositions never fit the filter so I didn't really use them. Like Digital Matt, I just blend 2 or more exposures, or mix different exposures of the same raw file. This has been more useful for me than shooting with split ND filters.

I would say yes to filters, because while some techniques and/or effects can be created in PS, some cannot. Also, IMHO it is far more efficient and better photography to get it right in camera, which translates into less time at the computer and in some cases better results.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back