DSLR choice

Marc32

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've done a lot of research and looked at a lot of cameras. I've narrowed my choices to the D5100 or the D7000 from Nikon. Most people have told me that the lenses are the major component. Invest more in high quality lenses to get the most out of a body. I'm torn between ordering a 16-85mm Nikkor, which is supposed to be one of the best DX lenses available, with a D5100 or a better/tougher body in the D7000 with the 18-105mm kit lens it ships with. Either way, I'm going to end up in the same price range. I'm really having a hard time deciding which is the better choice over the long haul. I usually shoot a lot of landscapes, bracketed shots for HDR, and (my current camera has no bulb) I'd like to get into ultra long exposures of the milky way, star trails, etc. That is about 95% of my shots, I'll order the 35mm f/1.8 for any indoor shooting which will be minimal. Which combination do you think will be the best investment for my style, the 16-85 D5100 or the D7000 w/18-105???

Thanks!
Marc

A D7000 has an in-body focus motor so you can use either AF or AF-S lenses. A D5100 doesn't have a focusing motor in the body so only AF-S lenses will auto-focus on the camera (you can mount an AF lens, but you have to focus manually.)

I would say lenses first, but DX lenses might not be a safe investment into the future (already there is a cheaper FX camera on the way, the D600, and probably the price for full frame will fall in future even more).

Nikkor AF-S DX 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR - Review / Test Report
Nikkor AF-S 16-85mm f/3-5-5.6G ED VR DX - Review / Test Report

Personally, the 16-85mm would be no lens for me:
The AF accuracy is generally fine although it deteriorates somewhat towards the wide-end of the zoom range.

P.s.: Oh, and D7000 and D5100 have the same fotochip. So picture quality wont differ much. Both awesome cameras for landscape because of their high dynamic range.

Between these 2 options, I'd go with D7000 + kit lens... It makes sense to go for a cheaper camera and invest the extra bucks in glass, but not in this case I think.
If you want good glass, try to buy a good prime like the 50mm f/1.8G which is pretty inexpensive or go for something used...

Anyway, D7000 + kit lens all the way... It's a hell of a camera and I couldn't be happier with it :)

I would definitely suggest buying the D7000. This camera can be an asset when you shoot HDR - and obviously other shots too. I would not suggest buying the 18-105 though. Buy the 35mm, use it for sometime. Save some more money and buy a 10-24mm - either nikon, or sigma; based on your budget.

no way...do the D7000 witht the 18-105 and you will be glad you did....take it from me. The most unreal images come from that camera

Wow....everyone suggest the D7k the D5100. I did not expect the 'against the grain' advice away from the traditional thought of better lens over body. I'd heard of the D600 from nikonrumors.com. I also just heard Canon announced they were doing away with the 60d (the D7k's direct competiton) in favor of a cheaper full frame. I know a lot of people are clamoring for a D7100, but with what Canon has done and the D600 somewhere out there, I'm wondering if the D7k is going to become a get it while you can camera. I think it would be a reasonable guess to say Nikon will follow Canon somewhat and do away with the D7k and market the D600 in it's price range. Upgrade the D5100 to be a step above the D3200 and that's the new lineup. D3200/D5200 DX and D600 on up to D4X will be FX. With lower priced full frames, is there a market for a high end crop sensor anymore??

Nehas8...would you suggest the 10-24 over the Tokina 11-16 for a D7k? In that same thought...does anyone really need a wide angle lens anymore? With the advances in software, it's becoming pretty easy to stitch images and get seamless results, even handheld. I've done pretty well stitching with my FZ150 and PSE10 Panorama Assist/AutoPano Giga. I built a nodal point jig from aluminum and shoot away. Unless I'm missing something, I'm not sure I see the real advantage to spending the money on a super wide angle lens, other than for shots that require a single image from fast moving subjects in the frame??

The D5100 is basically a D7000 in a plastic vs magnesium body without weather sealing or an in-body focus motor. The weather sealing might be important to you as a landscape shooter and the in-body motor expands your lens choices (if AF is important). The D7000 also has more manual controls...less menu diving when changing settings for shots.

no way...do the D7000 witht the 18-105 and you will be glad you did....take it from me. The most unreal images come from that camera
Uh, D7000 and D5100 have the exact same sensor.

The difference is only the extras.

[...]

Nehas8...would you suggest the 10-24 over the Tokina 11-16 for a D7k? In that same thought...does anyone really need a wide angle lens anymore? With the advances in software, it's becoming pretty easy to stitch images and get seamless results, even handheld. [...]
AFAIK wide lenses have never been about getting panoramas ? They give you a completely different perspective, closer to the action.

For landscapes and night skies, the D90 might have all you need, with the same controls as the D7000 and a price very close to that of the D5100.

The big advantages of the D7000 over the D90 mostly affect sport photography and wildlife. For landscapes, you won't need exceedingly high iso and ultra-fast AF.

There are several threads in which these three cameras D90, D7000 and D5100 are compared, I recommend you check them out in detail. You'll find strong supporters of each of the three. Up to you to decide who to believe!

In the long row I'm sure you'll be more happy with the d7000. I've had a d5000 for a year, and now I'm about to upgrade to the d7000. I hope I can use that for years. Buy some used lenses instead maybe? Besides, I better like the feel of the d7000 than the d5100. I don't know if you have tried that, but maybe that's a good idea, go to a store and feel them in your hands. Everyone feels different about that kinda things. None of the cameras are bad, but I think you'll be using the d7000 for longer.

For landscapes and night skies, the D90 might have all you need, with the same controls as the D7000 and a price very close to that of the D5100.

The big advantages of the D7000 over the D90 mostly affect sport photography and wildlife. For landscapes, you won't need exceedingly high iso and ultra-fast AF.

There are several threads in which these three cameras D90, D7000 and D5100 are compared, I recommend you check them out in detail. You'll find strong supporters of each of the three. Up to you to decide who to believe!
Did you confuse the threads somehow ?

Nobody here mentioned the D90 before you did ... and it has an older, inferior sensor that is worse at EVERYTHING, compared to the D7000/D5100.

DxOMark - Camera Sensor Ratings

awe..come on now.. the d5100 isnt THAT fantastically much better than the D90. and only better in SOME areas.the D90 still has some big advantages in my opinion. as for the D5100 -vs- the D7000 question, i would definitely go with the D7000. you will get more out of it in the long run. It is really more of an upgrade of the D90 since it has the built in motor and flash commander, yet still has the better sensor, ISO, and resolution. its a win/win. I have the D90 now, and I would like to upgrade to the D7000 in the next year or so and use the D90 as a backup body.

Solarflare said:
Did you confuse the threads somehow ?

Nobody here mentioned the D90 before you did ... and it has an older, inferior sensor that is worse at EVERYTHING, compared to the D7000/D5100.

DxOMark - Camera Sensor Ratings

What do you shoot with?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back