DSLR & Computer SALE

Lynnzora

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just a reminder that Circut City liquidation sale is in full swing. I went today. Sad because they didn't sale Pentax camera lense! Dang who talked me into getting Pentax?? lol jk... Anyway there were plenty of Nikon and Cannon lenses... 40% off... Computers 10% off... I got my computer from them today...just fyi

I've heard that just before an inventory liquidation they mark prices up, then take the reduction so it looks like you're getting a better deal. Not sure if this is true. I guess either way comparison shopping is the key.

I stopped by our CC yesterday and, on the few things I checked out, their sale price was just barely below what other's are selling stuff for at normal prices. For example, I looked at a 70-300mm VR Nikon mount that's been a demo 'forever.' It's in worse shape then some 5 year old lenses I've seen. They gave me their 'best' price on it, and I told them, no thanks, I'll spend $50 more and get a new one in a box instead of a 'used' demo...

That's the same thing over here ...

All their prices were inflated and then discounted. In the end, it was not really much cheaper than other retail stores. I only found a couple small items discounted enough to make it worth my while. Surprisingly, most of the store was empty by end of last week... IMO, a lot of people got taken for fools.

One store still had a K10D that was forgotten in the stock room. I inquired about it and they STILL wanted $650 for it.

I believe that all of ours around here are aready closed. When I did go, I found the same thing...prices were inflated and even with their "price reduction" you were paying about the same thing that you would at another camera store. I went to 3 of them...wasn't worth my gas or time.

I agree with what everyone else has posted about Circuit City's liquidation "sale." If you know the general ballpark of what something costs, you know a real bargain. This sale is anything but that.

In addition to this, the liquidation company often brings in their own "discounted" merchandise to sell along with CC's merchandise.

In any case, CC has never really been one of my favorites. Either catch a sale at Best Buy, or stick with Amazon. I've found that you get the best prices at those outlets.

In any case, CC has never really been one of my favorites. Either catch a sale at Best Buy, or stick with Amazon. I've found that you get the best prices at those outlets.

I agree. I always go to Best Buy then to Amazon. That's why CC is going out of business! Though I might go to CC to see how much they're asking for CF cards. I could use some more.

Though I might go to CC to see how much they're asking for CF cards. I could use some more.

i went last weekend to checkout the CF cards...their sale price is the same as the regular Best Buy and it's still cheaper to buy it online...

Best Buy a lot here, too. Years ago, CC wasn't too bad but they simply slide miserably. Their sales staff, at least at my local store, never had any answers to any questions. Ask them a question that wasn't in a sales brochure and you would get the deer in the headlights look. I went in for some computer stuff, for example, and their resident geek didn't even know what I was talking about when I asked for a specific keyboard brand. I said that if he didn't even know what it was, surely they didn't have it in the store.

Yeah, you're right... the store was emptying out. I was mostly just interested in the camera lenses. I just noticed some of the normally $300 lenses down to $100 something. But every store is different... And everything is flying off the shelf so probably not worth the gas just find out they don't have what you need or for a price you're willing to spend.

One thing is that warranties might be an issue, especially if they don't have the box(es) and paper work with the stuff, like that demo lens I mentioned above. That's why I consider it a 'used' lens and it should be at a used price, not just a few dollars off buying it at Costco or the like. Since there is no returns, I'd be stuck with it if it didn't function correctly...

Please watch this BEFORE you go to Circuit City:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMiBVlXctM8]YouTube - Going-Out-of-Business Sales Not Such a Bargain[/ame]

It is very informative... I would not buy ANYTHING from CC unless it was an amazing deal. Their computers are more expensive than any other retailer after their discount. It's ridulous.

If anyone is looking, I posted in another thread about this, some stores have a few Canon 100mm macro 2.8 for $318.00. I grabbed one up last week and it is a great pice of glass. I think I saw B&H had them for $489, so this is a hell of a deal. Brand new as well.

Most reactions

Back