dslr for beginner

Ch4ng3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
As I was advised I opened a new thread here. I hope i got it right :)

I'm looking for a dslr for a beginner. I am especially interested in filming but I would use it for photo shooting too. Which camera in lower price range should I get? (up to 600€, that's around 800$ ... I know that prices are a bit different, but it doesn't matter).

Well, if you are interested in video more than photography, I would recommend a video camera.

If you really want to do video with a DSLR, I guess Canon is the least crappy out there. Just know that to get professional video results with a DSLR usually requires thousands of dollars in support gear.

I think the Canon T2i is in your budget range.

Yeah, but with DSLR, you can either make videos or photos, which you can't do with a video camera :meh:

For now, I need something to begin with and don't want to spend too much just for now.

Canon T2i ... That's eos 550d? Are names different in Europe/America?

Yeah, but with DSLR, you can either make videos or photos, which you can't do with a video camera :meh:

For now, I need something to begin with and don't want to spend too much just for now.

Canon T2i ... That's eos 550d? Are names different in Europe/America?

Sorry, forgot about the names being different. Yes, the T2i is the 550d. Sony also makes a decent DSLR for video. You might want to check with some of your local shops and see which brands they carry. Being in a small Country in Eurpope, local support should be a factor in which brand you choose.

My standard answer is 'what do your friends shoot with'. Having gear that you can borrow and a local support network is invaluable. If you don't have friends that have camera gear, local support is another big factor.

In an ideal world, 'what fits your hand better' is the most important factor, but we don't live in an ideal world.

Nikon was the first DSLR maker to include video, but Canon has leap frogged them in regards to quality. I think the Nikon D5100 takes decent video, but I haven't really spent a lot of time comparing video quality. Heck, the DSLR I shoot with most doesn't even have a video option.

Basically, I think you should probably spend some time comparing the Canon 550d and the Nikon D5100. Both are around your budget number and both have respectablish video. FWIW, the D5100 has a flip out screen which is particularly useful for video.

The T2i is a good choice because of the Magic Lantern firmware add on that allows for more control. I don't think they found the exploit for the T3i yet.

Sony a55. Flip out screens are great for video and it has continuous auto focus in video. Steady shot is nice too.

Most of my friends use Canon, some (but less) Nikon. I tried out both of them and Canon fits me better :)
Local support isn't that important, because I can go in whatever town I want and I'm there within an hour or two ...

So, Canon is the only one that fits my budget at this moment. Both Nikon d5100 and Sony a55 are a bit more expensive.

What about the lenses? Which would be best for filming?

ps. I almost forgot. Nikon 1. It's not really a dslr is it? I was in a shop 2 days ago and they said it's great for filming. Is that true? Because I read some reviews and most people aren't really impressed by it.

Last edited:
iresq said:
The T2i is a good choice because of the Magic Lantern firmware add on that allows for more control. I don't think they found the exploit for the T3i yet.

I have magic lantern installed on my t3i

I would go T2i with an 18-55mm kit, MagicLantern, and a rode mic, or a zoom h1!

I don't realy understand what this magic lantern is ... :meh:

I think I'll buy T2i. Just for start. :)

DSLR cameras that can do video lack some of the important features need to do video well.

Since video is your intended main use, expect to spend extra $$$'s up to a couple of thousand $$$'s on video accessories that you will need to add to whatever DSLR you get.

If you can find one, a sony a33 has most of the features of the a55 but it's cheaper. Should be around the price of a T2i but again, has features like a flip-out screen and continuous AF which you'll love for video.

DSLR cameras that can do video lack some of the important features need to do video well.

Since video is your intended main use, expect to spend extra $$$'s up to a couple of thousand $$$'s on video accessories that you will need to add to whatever DSLR you get.

Just for now, DSLR will have to do. But later, of course I'm thinking of buying some accessories.

If you can find one, a sony a33 has most of the features of the a55 but it's cheaper. Should be around the price of a T2i but again, has features like a flip-out screen and continuous AF which you'll love for video.

Thanks, I'll check it out :)

I mentioned the same thing in my first post. I think the OP may be a bit misguided and being led a bit too far by the Canon and Nikon marketing department. It takes a ton of skill and a lot of extra equipment to use a DSLR to produce good video results.

Here is an example for the OP... Top 5 “Must Have” DSLR Gear for Shooting Video - NextWaveDV

But if you just google "Dslr video must have" you will find tons of information. Basically, the summary is takes thousands of dollars in gear and a ton of experience to make DSLR video work well. For most, a Sony Handycam will do a lot better.

My advice, buy a video camera for video and a camera for stills. FWIW, you can take a still photo with a video camera. It just won't be as good as a dslr can do. On the flip side, you 'can' take video with a DSLR...it just won't be as good as a video camera can do.

Most reactions

Back