Madison, WI Shoreline Pano

crimbfighter

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This was my first try at such a large scale pano. This photo is manually stitched together from 10 individual photos. I actually ran into an annoying issue. The individual photos took so long to capture, the lighting conditions changed from one end to the other.

I shot it in manual, then did a batch edit to all the RAW files. Then, I had to adjust each photo for brightness, contrast, and scale to fit them all together. Then I had to clone out the faint stitch lines left in the water and sky. Then, due to perspective issues, I actually had to copy large amounts of the sky to create sky where there wasn't. Mainly along the upper left and right edges. It turned out to be a much longer and more complex edit than past pano's I've done. Good learning experience, though. It was also a challenge because the shoreline on the left side of the frame was about 1/3 of a mile away, where as the shoreline on the right side of the frame was about 5/8 of a mile away. Made the perspective correction and focus issues interesting. It's hard to appreciate the detail in the photo because it gets shrunk down so much for posting. The original dimensions are 110x11 inches :er:

I also know there are some technical issues, still, with the photo. I wish the lighting were more even from one end of the frame to the other. I also wish it were a blue sky :grumpy: I wan't summer back.. :waiting: But, as an exercise in pano's I think I got this one pretty close. I might redo the scene on a clear night and see what it looks like as a night cityscape. Oh, and this was also the first time I've used a CPL. I think it helped with the glare off the water...a little...

Other than being faster ( :er: ) does anyone have any suggestions how I could deal with changing light conditions like I had? Any other thoughts? Like it? Don't like it?

Here's the photo:
5109150840_9be7e9e7b8_b.jpg

Can you post a link to a bigger version?

Here's a link to photobucket. I can't seem to figure out how to get either Photobucket or Flickr to host the image at a larger size. They automatically resize it to a max dimension of 1024 on the long edge. If you follow this link for Photobucket, you can view the full size file, or download the full 15Mb file. If someone can give a quick suggestion for how to get them to host the image at a larger size, I'm all ears.

http://s808.photobucket.com/albums/zz9/gerstnerz/?action=view&current=MadisonShorelinePanoramic-Medium-1.jpg

EDIT: I figured out how to get Photobucket to do what I wanted. Before some of you get angry, this large size is a one time deal :D
MadisonShorelinePanoramic-Medium-1.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back